Jessica Sutta attending "Susan G. Komen's 8th Annual Fashion for the Cure" event - Hollywood, CA on Sept. 24, 2009
|Birth name||Jessica Lynn Sutta|
May 15, 1982 [|
Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Genres||Pop, dance, house|
|Occupation(s)||singer, dancer, song writer, actress|
|Labels||A&M, Hollywood Records, Citrusonic Stereophonic|
|Associated acts||Pussycat Dolls|
Jessica Lynn Sutta (born May 15, 1982) is an American singer, dancer, song writer and actress. She is best known as a member of the American pop girl group and dance ensemble, the Pussycat Dolls. She left the group in January 2010 to embark on her solo career. Sutta's debut single, "Show Me", reached number one on the Billboard Hot Dance Charts in the United States. She is currently finishing her debut solo album Feline Resurrection which was expected to be released in 2014 but currently has no release date.
Life and career
1982–2003: Early life
Sutta was born in Miami, Florida. Her mother is of Irish Catholic descent and her father is Jewish (of Russian and Polish origin). She grew up in Cutler Bay, Florida with two older brothers, Billy and Kevin. She started dance classes at the age of three. She was a child model in a dance wear catalog/magazine in Miami called Star Style among the child models was Melissa Pastrana who also graduated from NWSA New World School of the Arts. She was a Miami City Ballet dance student in Miami Beach, Florida among the alumni were Crista Villela, Melissa Pastrana, Kelly Hess, Patricia Delgado, Cherilyn Franco- Morocco, Jeanette Delgado just to name a few. At New World School of the Arts, she studied dance. She tore the ACL on both knees and switched to theater studies, before finally returning to dance. She joined the NBA's cheerleading squad Miami Heat in 1999 and became captain in 2001.
2003–2010: Pussycat Dolls and solo career beginnings
In 2003, she moved to L.A. and three months later was on a dance audition for a PSA involving Smokey Bear when she came to the attention of choreographer Robin Antin, who cast her with the Pussycat Dolls in 2003.
From the moment Sutta joined the Pussycat Dolls, she says: "This is where I always wanted to be. I thought the Pussycat Dolls were genius. I am so blessed to be a part of this group." Sutta sang co-lead along with Carmit Bachar and Ashley Roberts in the "Stickwitu" single B-side, "Santa Baby". After the departure of Bachar from the group, Sutta took the parts that Bachar used to sing, and co-leads with Melody. Sutta also recorded a solo song, "If I Was a Man", for the Deluxe Edition of the Dolls' second studio album Doll Domination. The song is produced by Smidi, Ron Fair, and Stefanie Ridel.
During the hiatus of the Pussycat Dolls in 2007, Sutta was featured on two tracks, "Make It Last" and "White Lies". Both managed to chart on the Hot Dance Club Play chart, reaching the top three while "White Lies" was successful in Europe. It made Sutta the second artist to have two concurrent top 10 Club Play singles. "White Lies" peaked at No. 1 for four weeks on Billboard 's Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
On January 29, 2010, Sutta revealed she had been ousted from the group. In an interview with E! Online Sutta revealed that she broke a rib while on tour with the group and the group's management failed to provide her with any accommodation, so the "almost homeless" singer had to crash on a friend's couch as she recovered from a broken rib. In Life & Style magazine she stated: "I basically felt like nothing more than a glorified back-up dancer after seven years with the group. I wasn't feeling like I was growing in the situation. It was something I had to do. Breaking my rib is what sent me over the edge." Sutta told MTV News that she had the blessing of the Dolls to step out on her own. "They were really supportive of me. It was a big decision, but it was the best decision." She also said she can be her own woman. "I think I was always in the shadow of Nicole, so I think it's the chance for me to come out."
On January 30, 2010, Sutta clarified her comments with ABC News regarding her leaving the Pussycat Dolls, stating that Scherzinger is like a sister and she has love for her. Sutta also said that the rib injury obtained during the tour made her realize she did not want to be with the group any more as she did not think it was her future. She said she was recording and writing her debut album and said that fans could expect music very soon.
2010–present: Solo career development & SuttaPop
On September 19, 2010, she released her first solo single, "I Wanna Be Bad", which she wrote and produced with Tearce Keaz. On September 24, 2010, she debuted the song at the West Hollywood Gay bar, Here Lounge. On October 18, 2010, the music video for the single directed by Frank E. Flowers, premiered on Radar Online. On December 26, 2010, she debuted and performed two new tracks titled, "Good Boy" and "Jack in the Box", at the Dolphins vs. Lions Game at Sun Life Stadium in Miami, Florida. On March 3, 2011, she revealed a collaboration with DJ Erick Morillo on a track titled "Pin-up Girl". The song was written by VASSY & Jamie Hartman, and produced by Morillo, Harry Romero and José Nunez. It also features American rapper Stone Wallace. On March 27, 2011, she performed the track alongside Wallace and Morillo at Ultra Music Festival.
Cedric Gervai's, "Where Ever U Are." which features Sutta was released on August 2, 2011 and appears on Gervais' album Miamication. On June 3, 2011, she announced on Twitter that she had signed to "Hollywood Records", home to several Disney artists. Jessica's official first single "Show Me" appears as a bonus track on Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 39, which was released on August 9, 2011. "Show Me" premiered on Idolator on August 3, 2011. The video premiered on Saturday, August 6 on ABC Family. Following that, the song became available digitally on August 23. The song peaked at number one on the Hot Dance Club Songs in the United States, becoming Sutta's first number-one single as a solo artist. She is currently working on her debut solo album, Sutta Pop, which currently does not have a release date.
In 2012, she performed at various corporate and other performance venues, achieving critical acclaim for her performance at Chicago's Halsted Market Days. In June 2012, Sutta revealed to The Morning Show that she was working with RedOne on her upcoming album. On 5 August 2012, Sutta announced that she was planning to release, "Make It Loud", as her second single in September of the same year. However, the single was not released. On 6 October 2012, Sutta revealed on Ustream that she was no longer working with RedOne and had left Hollywood Records. On 13 December 2012, Sutta revealed that she would be releasing new music in early 2013. In February 2013, Sutta announced the release of her new single called "Again" in March.It was released on March 26th via Citrusonic Stereophonic."Again" peaked at number 14 on the Hot Dance Club Songs in the United States. The song received fan and media praise, while Billboard Magazine called "Again" an intriguing next step. The third promotional single "Lights Out" was released via Citrusonic Stereophoic on August 20, with a bright, glow in the dark lyric video.
Sutta has described Kaskade, Calvin Harris, Nicky Romero, Nervo Girls as musical influences. She said: "I choose to be a dance artist because dance music is my first love. It's all that I listen too."
Sutta plays the woman who was abused by her husband in Ana Johnsson's music video for "Don't Cry for Pain". As a freelance dancer, she appeared in music videos for Will Smith ("Miami"), Baby Bash ("Suga Suga"), Craig David ("Spanish") and Gloria Estefan ("Don't Let This Moment End"), among others.
As an actress, she was part of the original cast in the Swedish American soap opera known as Ocean Ave., alongside Megan Fox, where she played Jody Starr, a pill-poppin' Gothic teenager. She has also appeared in the movie From Justin to Kelly, a 2003 American romantic comedy musical film, and Bully where she played Blonde. Sutta had a brief role in the 2003 film Bad Boys II. She was also hosting a show for a Miami based cable network called "SoBe in the Night". In 2007, she appeared on an episode of the game show Identity in disguise as a Pussycat Doll.
In 2007, Sutta appeared in a series of video ads on MySpace for Unilever's Axe body spray, as part of their 'Bom Chicka Wah Wah' campaign. The ads took the form of instructional dance videos, with Sutta displaying 'sexy' dance moves. In 2010, Sutta appeared in FHM Magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World", ranking at #71. Sutta is a supporter of gay rights. In December 2010, she appeared in the YouTube video for for-profit LGBT organization FCKH8 and a play on the NOH8 campaign, of which she also shot a photo for.
In 2011, Sutta appeared in Capra's music video for their new song "If I Was". Sutta also guest featured in "HAHA,JK!", an online hidden-camera show, in a webisode titled "The Assistant", that stars Comedian Jamie Kennedy. Sutta was a guest judge on the sixth episode in the 19th cycle of America's Next Top Model.
- Feline Resurrection (2015)
|2002||Ocean Ave.||Jody Starr|
|2003||From Justin to Kelly||Bracelet Girl|
|Bad Boys II||Prostitute|
|2008||The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious||Herself|
|2009||The Truth About Angels||Herself|
|2010||The Search for Shangela's Best Dance Crew||Guest judge|
|2012||America's Next Top Model||Herself|
|2007||"White Lies" (Paul van Dyk feat. Jessica Sutta)||Lucy Adams||N/A|
|2010||"I Wanna Be Bad"||Frank E. Flowers||Sutta Pop|
|2011||"Pin-Up Girl"||Eugene Riecansky|
|2012||"In A Box" (Jessica Sutta & bb)||N/A||N/A|
|2013||"Again"||Ryan Rabih Zeidan||Sutta Pop|
|2013||"Lights Out"||Ryan Rabih Zeidan||Sutta Pop|
- ""Inside every woman is a Pussycat Doll," says Robin Antin". William Morris Endeavor (Interscope Records). Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Kanye's King of the Billboard 200 With 957,000". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media, Inc). 2007-09-19. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Jessica Sutta Bitter About Leaving Pussycat Dolls, Is Jealous of Nicole Scherzinger". Starpulse.com. 2010-01-30. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Former Pussycat Doll: how I lost it all". Life & Style (Bauer). 2010-01-29. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Golden, Jessica (2010-01-29). "Former Pussycat Doll Jessica Sutta". ABC News. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "Wanna be Bad" out on itunes 10.19.10". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Jessica Sutta – I Wanna Be Bad (Here Lounge Performance)". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Heading to truck stop...". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Former Pussycat Doll Jessica Sutta Goes Solo, Sings 'I Wanna Be Bad'". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Video Premiere in 30 minutes". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "So excited about my show". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Jessica Sutta – Jack in the Box 26.12.10". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Pin-up Girl Single". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "http://www.bensbrother.com/news.php?item=43". Bens Brother. Retrieved 2010-08-06.[dead link]
- "Ultra Music Fest Miami". MTV. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "iTunes – Music – Where Ever U Are (feat. Jessica Sutta) – Single by Cedric Gervais". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-08-02. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Cedric Gervais feat. Jessica Sutta – 'Where Ever U Are ' | MP3 Download at DJTUNES". Djtunes.com. 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Where Ever U Are – Cedric Gervais feat Jessica Sutta". iTunes. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Woke up did a radio interview..". Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Now Thats What I Call Music Vol 39". American Superstar Mag. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Jessica Sutta – Show Me-Premiere". Idelator. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Jessica Sutta – Show Me-Video Premiere ABC Family". ABC Family. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Former Pussycat Doll, Jessica Sutta, Signs With Hollywood Records". Disney Info Net. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "'Show Me' the No. 1: Former Pussycat Doll Jessica Sutta Tops Dance Chart". Billboard. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "Jessica Sutta – Sexy Siren". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Jessica Sutta eyes May release for ‘Sutta Pop’". Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Jessica Sutta at Market Days on August 11, 2012". Chicago.gopride.com. 2012-08-11. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "The Morning Show : Jessica Sutta's solo success". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "September!! I'm shooting a video in a week or so! Can't WAIT to release it!!". Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "The Jessica Sutta Show! on USTREAM 6.10.2012 - PART1". Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "I am so happy to announce that I have new music out in early 2013". Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Again (feat. Kemal Golden) [Radio Edit] - Single by Jessica Sutta". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Luis Gonzalez (2013-08-20). "Listen to "Lights Out" by Jessica Sutta ‹ EQ Music Blog". Eqmusicblog.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "See All My Bom Chicka Wah Wah!". My Space. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "FHM Hot 100 2011 Girls". Toronto Pics. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "It’s finally here! CAPRA – "If I Was" Music Video". Capra Music Online. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- "Jamie Kennedy Teams with engage:BDR to Produce Online Incarnation of Jamie Kennedy Hidden Camera Show". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- "The CW to debut next 'Top Model' on Feb. 29, cast and twist revealed" 02/10/2012 , realitytvworld.com
- "SoBe Real (2011)". imdb.comaccessdate=2010-08-23.
- ""White Lies" Music Video". MTV. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- Iacuzzi, Frances (2010-10-20). "Jessica Sutta: the Making of ‘I Wanna Be Bad’". WordPress. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Jessica Sutta new video > director Idcri
- "Jessica Sutta ‘Show Me’ by Skinny". Promo News. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- ""Again" Lyrics Video". VIBE. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jessica Sutta.|