Jessicka 2004, Los Angeles, California
|Birth name||Jessica Fodera|
|Also known as||Jessicka, Jessicka Addams, J.Sick, J.Jinx|
|Born||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|Genres||Alternative rock, goth rock, noise pop, alternative metal|
|Occupations||Artist, musician, songwriter, and singer|
|Associated acts||Jack Off Jill
Honey to Ash
Jessicka Addams (born Jessica Fodera on October 23) is an American singer and artist. Best known by her stage name Jessicka, she was the front woman of Florida-based band Jack Off Jill and current front for the Los Angeles based band Scarling.
Jessicka grew up in the town of Sunrise, Florida. She was raised as an only child by her mother Nancy after her mother divorced her husband, Joseph. After high school Jessicka had immersed herself in music, Goth-culture, gay iconography, all things John Waters and feminist literature. At seventeen she decided that she wanted to start her own band.
Jack Off Jill (1992–2000)
Jessicka met Tenni Arslanyan while attending high school in Sunrise, Florida. They had begun writing songs, but had not yet formed a complete band when Robin Moulder and Michelle Oliver joined them to create the band Jack In Jill. In 1992, Jack In Jill got their start when they were asked to open for fellow Floridian and friend Marilyn Manson and his band, Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids at a Davie, Florida nightclub called The Plus 5 Lounge. Manson suggested a name change to Jack Off Jill (JOJ). Jessicka was the first to spell her name with a c and a k. She added the "K" to the original spelling of her first name and dropped her surname, paying homage to Magick (Book 4), by Aleister Crowley. In 1993, JOJ released their first recording titled, "Children 5 And Up", produced by Marilyn Manson. In early 1993, Jessicka performed with Manson's ephemeral side project, Mrs. Scabtree and shared vocal duties with then boyfriend Jeordie White. In December 1993 while on tour, Jessicka spent a night in jail when she and Manson were arrested after a concert in Jacksonville, Florida, for breaking the town's adult entertainment codes.
Before her 22nd birthday, Jessicka's record label, Rectum Records, had released several independent JOJ records and several 7" singles. Jack Off Jill signed with Los Angeles based Risk Records in January 1997. The band released their first full-length album, Sexless Demons And Scars, in September 1997 then toured in the U.S. and Canada. In July 2000 JOJ released their second full-length CD, Clear Hearts Grey Flowers, just as their label was preparing to close down.
JOJ played its last show at Los Angeles' The Troubadour in April 2000. They were joined onstage by guitarist Helen Storer of the UK band Fluffy and producer Chris Vrenna on drums. JOJ officially disbanded in late 2000.
After taking a break from the music industry and making Los Angeles her permanent residence, Jessicka was invited in 2001 by guitarist Christian Hejnal to be a guest vocalist on his solo album. The pair had only met a few months earlier through a mutual friend, Lisa Leveridge. They began recording and rehearsing together and eventually recruited the musicians who would form the first and very short-lived lineup of Scarling. in 2002. In early 2002 Jessicka was introduced to Long Gone John, owner of Sympathy for the Record Industry, by mutual friend Mark Ryden. In March 2003 Scarling.'s debut single, "Band Aid Covers the Bullet Hole", was released on John's label. The cover featured an illustration entitled "Wound 39" by artist Mark Ryden. In April 2004 Scarling. released their first album, Sweet Heart Dealer, which again utilized the team of Ryden and Vrenna.
In the autumn of 2004, Jessicka was featured on the cover of ROCKRGRL's vocalist issue. Scarling. was invited to join the lineup of the Robert Smith-curated Curiosa Festival, performing on select West Coast dates alongside Jessicka's long-time favorite band The Cure. Three weeks before joining the tour, drummer Samantha Maloney filled in and was soon replaced by Beth Gordon.
Smith described the band's music as "dark, desperate, chaotic, gorgeous pop music, the sound of the end of the world", and Scarling.'s Sweet Heart Dealer was nominated for the 2004 Shortlist Music Prize.
After a series of 7" singles on Sympathy, Scarling. announced in early 2005 that their second album, So Long, Scarecrow, would appear later that year; it was preceded by the single "We are the Music Makers" and was released in August 2005. So Long, Scarecrow was co-produced by Rob Campanella and received several favorable reviews. Alternative Press Jason Pettigrew gave the album a 5 out of 5 rating Simon Price from The Independent said, "Fodera has always had a knack for acronyms and catchphrases,'Manorexic' is one which will be lapped up by the goth kids, but her intriguing lyrics, sung in a voice pitched midway between Kate Bush sweetness and Siouxsie Sioux stridency, cut deeper than mere punning. The song Bummer a track from SLS was featured on Showtime's The L Word season 3 episode "Latecomer." In December 2005, Scarling. embarked on its first UK tour. In 2006 Jessicka continued to tour in the US and Europe with Scarling., touring with such bands as UK shoegaze band Amusement Parks on Fire and opening for The Wedding Present and Depeche Mode. In 2006, Scarling. released their fourth single Staring to the Sun. The album cover featured a portrait of Jessicka done by Los Angeles photographer Piper Ferguson.
On 12 March 2013 Jessicka Addams posted on her Facebook page that she was working on lyrics for some new Scarling. songs.
On May 13, 2014, Mark Ryden released an album entitled ‘The Gay Nineties Old Tyme Music: Daisy Bell,’ that features Scarling. along with other artists all giving a different rendition of the same song, ‘Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two).'The album, printed on 180 g red vinyl, was limited to 999 copies, all hand-numbered and signed by Ryden. Half of the records were be sold at the Michael Kohn gallery. The proceeds from the record, will benefit Little Kids Rock, a nonprofit that supports musical education in disadvantaged elementary schools.
After JOJ Jessicka worked with Kevin Haskins, producer Chris Vrenna on American McGee's Alice soundtrack, and drummer Samantha Maloney. She also made a cameo appearance in Ellie Parker.
In March, 2009, Jessicka appeared as a special guest in an episode of the reality television series Germany's Next Topmodel, hosted by Heidi Klum. In April 2009, Jessicka modeled for photographer Austin Young for the Bettie Page "Heaven Bound" art show.
Jessicka and her husband Christian performed with their band Scarling. at the wedding of Bravo's Shear Genius finalist Janine Jarman and Matthew Wolcott at the Houdini Mansion in Hollywood on June 26, 2010.
On July 22nd, 2014, Jessicka wrote the essay titled 'Coming Full Circle with Fat Phobia, Anne Wilson, & Self Hatred' that was published online in Bust (magazine). It discusses the singers' experiences with being overweight in the music industry and fat phobia. 
On November 13, 2010, she presented her artwork collectively entitled 'Smile Even if it Hurts' at the Dark Dark Science Gallery (Atwater Village, California) in a joint exhibit with friend and fellow artist Lindsey Way. Jessicka's show was titled "What's Behind The Bunny" and featured collaborations with artists Mark Ryden, Elizabeth McGrath, Marion Peck, Morgan Slade, Louis-Marie de Castelbajac, Joshua Petker, Tarina Tarantino, Jared Gold, Austin Young, and Janine Jarman. On April 1, 2011, her website JessickaAddams.com launched featuring a gallery of her artwork.
On April 9, 2011 Jessicka participated in Tara McPherson's "Tiny Trifecta" in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York and LeBasse Projects inaugural exhibition "Momentum" in Chinatown, Los Angeles, California.
January 2014, The LA Art Show had over 18,000 items on display from over 135 dealers, Addams was recognized by the Huffington Post Arts & Culture, "Jessicka Addams, who could be related to the real Addams Family and creates self-portraits that reference near death personal experiences with a witty, macabre slant."
Jessicka has curated two different art shows under the name Dark Dark Science. The first was on November 13, 2010, the show kwas collectively entitled 'Smile Even if it Hurts', a joint exhibit with friend and fellow artist Lindsey Way.  The second show was on August 4, 2012 and ran until August 28, 012. The show was called 'MiXTAPE'. Artists were asked to pick a song and create art inspired by that song. 24 artists participated in the show including Mark Ryden, Frances Bean Cobain, Camille Rose Garcia, Fairuza Balk, Aaron Smith, and Tara McPherson. The eclectic mix of songs chosen were featured for digital download on iTunes.
Jessicka identifies herself as bisexual. On February 14, 2006, (Valentine's Day) while on a break from touring, she and Scarling colleague Christian Hejnal were engaged. Their wedding took place on October 13, 2007 at the Oviatt Penthouse in Los Angeles and was attended by numerous celebrities. The couple changed their surname to Addams.
- 2014 "That Which Does Not Kill You" May 9 to June 8, 2014" The Cotton Candy Machine, Brooklyn, NYC.
- 2011 "Little Grey Secrets" La Luz de Jesus Los Angeles, CA
- 2010 "Smile Even If It Hurts" at Dark Dark Science Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Selected group shows
- 2014 "Fourth Annual Tiny Trifecta" at Cotton Candy Machine, Brooklyn, NY
- 2014 LA Art Show "Littletopia" Los Angeles, CA 
- 2013 "Black Moon" Sloan Fine Arts, LA, CA with Camille Rose Garcia, Elizabeth McGrath and Marion Peck.
- 2013 "beer-is-art " at La Luz de Jesus, Los Angeles, CA
- 2013 "Third Annual Tiny Trifecta" at Cotton Candy Machine, Brooklyn, NY
- 2013 "Tentacles!" Ltd. Art Gallery in Seattle, Washington.
- 2013 " Mark Ryden’s YHWH Group Custom Show" @ Toy Art Gallery Los Angeles, CA 
- 2012 "AWAKENING" curated by Sloan Fine Arts, AFA gallery New York, NY
- 2012 "MiXTAPE" at Dark Dark Science Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2012 "Second Annual Tiny Trifecta" at Cotton Candy Machine, Brooklyn, NY
- 2012 "Hey Geek Girl" LTD art Gallery Seattle, Washington
- 2011 "Spread the Word" Mark Moore Gallery, Culver City, CA
- 2011 "Plus 1" Sloan Fine Arts, New York, NY
- 2011 "Momentum" at LeBasse Projects Chinatown Inaugural Exhibition, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 "Tiny Trifecta" at Cotton Candy Machine, Brooklyn, NY
- 2011 "Everything But The Kitschen Sync 14" at La Luz de Jesus, Los Angeles, CA
- 2009 "Crusaders and Haters" RoyalT, Culver City, California
- 2008 "2008 "DepARTed" World of Wonder Storefront Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- With Jack Off Jill:
- Children 5 And Up (1993)
- Boy Grinder Session (1994)
- Cannibal Song Book (1995)
- Cockroach Waltz (1996)
- Sexless Demons And Scars (1997), Risk Records
- Covetous Creature EP (1998), Risk Records
- Clear Hearts Grey Flowers (2000), Risk Records/404 Music Group
- Humid Teenage Mediocrity (2003), Sympathy for the Record Industry – U.S., Livewire/Cargo Records– Europe
- With Scarling.:
- Band Aid Covers the Bullet Hole EP (2003), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- Sweet Heart Dealer (2004), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- "Crispin Glover" (2004), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- So Long, Scarecrow (2005), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- "Scarling. / The Willowz", (2005), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- "Staring to the Sun" (2006), Sympathy for the Record Industry
- " Who Wants To Die For Art" (2013), The Committee to Keep Music Evil
- "TBA" (2014), The Committee to Keep Music Evil
- Guest contributions:
- "Last Day In June" (1999), for the band Honey To Ash.
- "Miss Ann Thrope" (2000), track seven on My Ruin studio album, A Prayer Under Pressure of Violent Anguish, Snapper/Spitfire.
- "Make You Believe" (2000), for the band Messy.
- "Iieee" (2001), cover duet with Meegs Rascón, guitarist of Coal Chamber, for Songs Of A Goddess – A Tori Amos Tribute.
- "Happy For You" (2008), for The Ingenues.
- "Nothing At All" (2012) Chris Vrenna / Tweaker "call the time eternity" Metropolis Records
- "Begin The End" Placebo (cameo) directed by Piper Ferguson 
- "Mark Ryden's 'Gay Nineties' Album" (2014) with Scarling.
- "Chicago Music Guide Scarling. Interview -Noreen Sobczyk".[dead link]
- Pelletier, George."Paying The Rant" Miami New Times feature, November 27, 1997.
- Kissel, Ted.  Manson: The Early Years Miami New Times, January 21, 1999.
- MTV.com1:MTV news March 22, 1999". URL accessed June 18, 2007.
- Anthony, Todd.  Miami New Times, July 07, 1993.
- Baker, Greg. Program Notes 48 Miami New Times March 16, 1993
- Baker, Greg.  Miami New Times, January 5, 1995.
- Marini, Leslie R.  FEAR AND LOATHING IN JACKSONVILLE 1995
-  l Jack Off Jill discography
- "MTV news June 8, 1999". Mtv.com. 1999-06-18. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Johnson, Tina (2000-04-07). "MTV news March 04, 2000". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "The OFFICIAL Jack Off Jill – Website :: Archive :: Store". Jackoffjill.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Morrissey, Callye. Venus Magazine Issue# 26, December 1, 2005
- "ROCKRGRL magazine Vocalist issue featuring Jessicka". Retrieved 2013-12-03.[dead link]
- Curiosa Festival 2004 JULY 9, 2004
- Hochman, Steve. Los Angeles Times -August 30, 2004
- "MTV news July 7, 2004". Mtv.com. 2004-07-07. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Vernon, Rebecca. Slug Magazine, February 2, 2005
- "BBC Norfolk review Amusement Parks On Fire/Scarling.December 5, 2006". Bbc.co.uk. 2006-05-07. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Rashbaum, Alyssa (2004-08-24). "MTV news August 28, 2004". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Finalists For The Shortlist Music Prize 08.24.2004". 411mania.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Shortlist Listmakers Longlists Listed August 5, 2004". Xfm.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Seaver, Morley. Scarling – So Long Scarecrow Review
- Tucker, Carrie. Filter Magazine So Long, Scarecrow review
- "Scene Point Blank Review". Scenepointblank.com. 2005-11-25. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Pettigrew, Jason."Less screamy, more dreamy."
- Price, Simon (September 4, 2005). "Scarling. So Long, Scarecrow". The Independent. The Independent (London, UK). p. 16.
- TV.com. "The L Word Episode Guide . Season 3, Episode 8". Tv.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Gig List". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- b Scarling. Staring to the Sun artistdirect.com
- Williams, Maxwell.  May 02, 2014 "Katy Perry Featured on Pop Artist Mark Ryden's $100 'Gay Nineties' Album (Exclusive)" The Hollywood Reporter (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- The Gay Nineties Olde Tyme Music - Daisy Bell
-  Chris Vrenna - American McGee's Alice (Original Music Score) My Discogs/ Fall 2000
- "July 25, 2000". Messymusic.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "The Ingenues". Myspace.com. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Ellie Parker cast & crew". Movies.msn.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Presenters: Heidi Klum, Kristian Schuller, Qualid "Q" Ladraa (2010-03-05). "Germany's Next Topmodel, Season 4". 2:34 minutes in.
-  Germany's Next Topmodel: Season 4, Episode 4 Judges (IMDB
- Wolfson, Julie. LAist.com "Lenora Claire on her 'Bettie Page: Heaven Bound' Art Show" April 30, 2009
- Burton, Bonnie. Girls Against Girls: Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How We Can Change. ISBN 0-9790173-6-X.
- Letizia, Anthony.  The Big Bang Theory: Leonard, Penny and Geek Love. November 17, 2010
- Tucker, Carrie. I Love Geeks. ISBN 1-60550-023-2.
- Borzillo, Carrie. Cherry Bomb. ISBN 1-4169-6116-X.
- Wihlborg, Ulrica.  People.com "A Shear Genius Wedding!" Sunday June 27, 2010
- Featured (2012-08-20). "Interior Therapy with Jeff Lewis, Season 2". 45 minutes in.
-  Interior Therapy with Jeff Lewis: Season 2 Episode 7
- Placebo - Begin The End Published on March 10, 2014 Dir: Piper Ferguson (USA)Prod: Dreamseek Entertainment 
- Addams, Jessicka. "Coming Full Circle with Fat Phobia, Anne Wilson, & Self Hatred" Bust (magazine) Jul 22, 2014
-  The Working Actor Sits Down With: Daniel Franzese
- "Photos from The DepARTed exhibition". Worldofwonder.net. 2008-04-26. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Pettigrew, Jason.  Alternative Press Q&A: Mindless Self Indulgence’s Lindsey Way and Scarling’s Jessicka Addams plan art exhibit November 10, 2010
-  April 1, 2011
-  "Tiny Trifecta" at Tara McPherson's Cotton Candy Machine Tuesday April 05, 2011 Juxtapoz.com
- Duran, Amy.  IN LA: LaBasse Projects Chinatown Private Opening, Juxtapoz, 03.29.11
-  Jessicka Addams, Little Grey Secrets August 5–28, 2011
- Menard, Chantal  FAD WEBSITE Interview:Revealing Jessicka Addams and her “Little Grey Secrets.” August 7, 2001
-  LA Weekly events
- Anderson, Kirsten.  Opening Night: Marion Peck’s “Animals” at Michael Kohn Projects. Hi-Fructose April 5, 2013
- Anderson, Kirsten.  Report from Mark Ryden’s “The Snow Yak” show in Tokyo, Hi-Fructose February 12, 2009
-  Tuesday, FORCES of GEEK May 26, 2009 "Ryden off into the sunset"
- Duran, Amy. 06 Nov 2013 IN L.A.: BLACK MOON @ SLOAN FINE ART Juxtapoz magazine
- Helander, Bruce  LA Art Show-Stoppers Huffington Post Arts & Culture Posted: 01/19/2014
- Miller, Bridgette.Frances Bean Cobain & More Create Art That Rocks for MiXTAPE LA Bust (magazine) Aug 02, 2012
- LA MIXTAPE: AS A GESTURE OF LOVE L.A. Record magazine August 3rd, 2012
- "Jessicka's Official site, FAQ". Jessicka.com. 2001-09-11. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "This bride definitely wears black" Los Angeles Times October 28, 2007
- "Gallery Resume" Jessicka Addams Gallery Resume
-  Jessicka Addams art press
- Licaro, Lina. L.A. Slush. Jessicka Addams’ Little Grey Secrets, 11 August 2011
- Pettigrew, Jason  Q&A: Mindless Self Indulgence’s Lindsey Way and Scarling’s Jessicka Addams plan art exhibit November 10, 2010
- Petker, Joshua. Juxtapoz Magazine 'Lindsey Way and Jessicka Addams' Smile Even if it Hurts' Tuesday November 23, 2010
- April 25, 2013 (2013-04-25). "Page, Justin. on April 25, 2013". Laughingsquid.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Arrested Motion May 8, 2013 http://arrestedmotion.com/2013/05/mark-rydens-yhwh-group-custom-show-toy-art-gallery/
- Levin, Samantha.  Alix Sloan’s “Awakened” Exhibition Benefits Animals in Need, Sep 18, 2012
- Duran, Amy. IN L.A.: LA MIXTAPE @ LEBASSE PROJECTS CHINA TOWN juxtapoz magazine Monday August 20, 2012
-  "Openings: “Tiny Trifecta” @ Cotton Candy Machine" Arrested Motion July 10, 2012
- Anders, Charlie Jane.  Geek girls paint geek icons, and the results will make you smile."
-  “Spread the Word” Charity Auction @ Mark Moore Gallery December 17, 2011
- Danny, Hom. 826LA '826LA raises $6,500 at Mark Moore Gallery’s “Spread the Word” with Jason Bentley and more!"December 20, 2011
- Duran, Amy  'JuxtapozIN L.A.: LeBasse Projects Chinatown Private Opening Tuesday March 29, 2011
-  Art Slant, 'Group Show Momentum Curated by: Christine LeBasse'
- Pena, Jeffery.  Curbs And Stoops Contemporary Art Magazine, 'LeBasse Chinatown opens with “Momentum.” ' March 26th, 2011
- ""Tiny Trifecta" at Tara McPherson's Cotton Candy Machine". Juxtapoz. April 5, 2011
-  Art Slant Los Angeles. "La Luz de Jesus Gallery presents “Everything but the Kitschen Sync XIV"
- by zippercut (2009-07-09). "Sneak Peek Crusaders and Haters art show". Zippercut.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- Lucid, Michael  World of Wonder (production company) Report James St. James 'THE DAILY FREAK SHOW: JAMES GOES TO THE 'CRUSADERS & HATERS' ART OPENING' Thursday, July 30, 2009 04:10 PM
- "The Working Actor Sits Down With: Daniel Franzese at The Working Actor". Theworkingactor.net. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- Sabancontact, Stephen (2008-04-26). "Photos from The DepARTed exhibition". Worldofwonder.net. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- Ramirez, Carlos.  'Tweaker's Chris Vrenna on Playing Drums for Marilyn Manson: 'I Just Couldn't Take the Lifestyle Anymore' Noisecreep.com Sep 18th 2012
- Jessicka (Official Website)
- Jessicka Addams ( Jessicka Addams art site)
- Jessicka @ Allmusic.com
- Jessicka at the Internet Movie Database
- Jessicka's Twitter