Jessie Chandler, crime fiction author
August 16, 1968 |
|Education||St. Cloud State University|
|Awards||2012 Ann Bannon Popular Choice Award for Bingo Barge Murder|
Jessie Chandler (born August 16, 1968) is an American author of mystery and humorous caper fiction, most of which is about lesbian protagonists. Her work includes Bingo Barge Murder: A Shay O'Hanlon Caper (2011), Hide and Snake Murder (2012), and the forthcoming Pickle in the Middle Murder (2013). Chandler has presented talks about the craft of writing, serves as a mentor to many up-and-coming writers, and is a contributing member of The Golden Crown Literary Society.
Chandler was born in Grantsburg, Wisconsin, and raised primarily by a single mother, her father having died before she was born. She spent part of her early life with her grandparents in Siren, Wisconsin, then lived with her school teacher mother in the Minneapolis – Saint Paul metro area until taking off to attend St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minnesota, where she received a bachelor's degree in journalism. She met her long-time partner, Betty Chandler, almost two decades ago, and they were finally able to marry in Iowa in 2010.
A former police officer, Chandler has most recently been the manager of True Colors Bookstore in Minneapolis, previously known as Amazon Bookstore Cooperative, the oldest lesbian bookstore in North America. As her writing career has gathered steam, Chandler has become a mentor and coach to many young and aspiring writers, especially through her work at The Golden Crown Literary Society where she has judged the literary awards and provided T-shirts for the yearly conference. She is also a member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and International Thriller Writers.
Chandler is a member of the new breed of lesbian authors writing Mystery fiction who are not constrained by topic, content, or mainstream opinion. Her caper crime fiction falls into the same sub-genre as the work of noted lesbian authors such as Elizabeth Sims and Joan Opyr.
A Mystery Lovers Bookstore review called the first novel a "winner" and "a delightful romp." Lavender (magazine) said: "Coffee, romance, murder, and dog all make for Minnesota nice-nice." In a pre-pub review, Library Journal listed the new book as "Truly Wacky," and Ellen Hart said: "Bingo Barge Murder is a solid first entry in the Shay O'Hanlon mystery series. Chandler writes with a wonderful sense of place, plenty of humor, and a crisp pace. The best part for me were the characters, which were so richly drawn that they felt like instant friends. This is a great read from the very first page!"
- Golden Crown Literary Society Goldie for Mystery/Thriller (2013)
- Bingo Barge Murder: A Shay O'Hanlon Caper (2011)
- Hide and Snake Murder: A Shay O'Hanlon Caper (2012)
- Pickle in the Middle Murder: A Shay O'Hanlon Caper (forthcoming, 2013)
Story Contributions to Anthologies
- "Fury" in Women in Uniform (2010)
- "Silent Night, Deadly Night" in Why Did Santa Leave A Body? Yuletide Tales of Murder and Mayhem (2010)
- "Sweet Spring Revenge" in Once Upon A Crime (2011)
- Crown, Golden. "2012 Ann Bannon Winners". Golden Crown Literary Society. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Kaner, Elyse. "Coon Rapids woman pens humorous murder mystery". ABC Newspapers. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- M, L. "Bingo Barge Murder". Mystery Lovers Reviews. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Boatner, EB. "The Page Boy". Lavender Magazine. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
1. Jessie Chandler Biographical Information. JessieChandler.com. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.
2. Golden Crown Literary Society Golden Crown Literary Society. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.
3. Author bios at Midnight Ink. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.
4. Llewellyn Publications. Llewellyn Publications. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.
4. Kirkus Book Reviews. Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.
6. Library Journal. Retrieved on 2011-04-12.
7. Mystery Lovers Bookstore. Retrieved on 2011-04-12. 8. . Retrieved on 2013-7-6.