Mueller in 2013
|Born||Jessica Ruth Mueller
February 20, 1983
Jessica Ruth "Jessie" Mueller (born February 20, 1983) is an American actress and singer. She started her career in Chicago and won a Joseph Jefferson Award in 2008 for her role as Carrie Pipperidge in Carousel. In 2011, she moved her talents to New York City to star in the Broadway revival of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. She is currently starring in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical as Carole King, for which she won a Tony Award.
Mueller was born and raised in Evanston, Illinois, the daughter of actors Jill (née Shellabarger) and Roger Mueller. Her two brothers Andrew and Matt along with sister Abby are all actors known for their work in the Chicago theatre community. Mueller is Lutheran. She graduated from Evanston Township High School in 2001 and from Syracuse University in 2005.
After graduation, Mueller returned to Chicago and acted for the Chicago Shakespeare Theater, traveling in 2006 to England to perform at the Swan Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon as Lady Mortimer in Henry IV. She followed this with various roles in the Chicago area including Lizzie Fields in Baby, Once Upon a Mattress as the Lady-In Waiting, and Esther in Meet Me in St. Louis. At the Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire, Illinois, she performed roles in Shout! The Mod Musical, Shenandoah, Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, and Tzeitel in Fiddler on the Roof. In 2009 performed in two musicals at the Goodman Theatre, Animal Crackers as Grace/Mary and A Christmas Carol as Belle/Catherine.
In 2011, she was named Actor of the Year by the Chicago Tribune and also was nominated for two Joseph Jefferson Awards, winning Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance as Amalia Balash in She Loves Me.
Mueller made her Broadway debut in a revised revival of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever as Melinda Wells, a role originated by Barbara Harris. Mueller received critical praise for her performance, with one reviewer commenting "...Her voice contains notes of Garland, but she’s no diva — this is a star of supreme self-possession". For this role, Mueller was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.
Mueller next was cast in the role of Helena Landless / Miss Janet Conover in Roundabout Theatre Company's 2012 revival of The Mystery of Edwin Drood for which she was nominated for a Drama Desk Award. She then took over Kelli O'Hara's role of Billie Bendix in Nice Work If You Can Get It, from March 29, 2013 until the show closed on June 15, 2013.
Mueller appears in the musical Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, which opened on Broadway on January 12, 2014. She plays the title role of Carole King. She had performed this role in the try-out in San Francisco in 2013. She won the Drama Desk Award and Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical.
- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QJGX-K9FL Date of birth, familysearch.org; accessed June 4, 2014.
- "DIVA TALK: Chatting With On a Clear Day Star Jessie Mueller". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Jones, Chris (22 December 2011). "Theater Chicagoan of the Year is Jessie Mueller: A glass slipper, a crystalline voice". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Abarbanel, Jonathan (2010-10-01). "Chicago’s New Shining Stars". Footlights.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Jessie Mueller. "Marriott Theatre In Lincolnshire". Marriotttheatre.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Chicago Shakespeare Theater - Bio - Mueller". Chicagoshakes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Where you've seen Jessie Mueller". Chicago Tribune.
- Brown, Scott. "Theater Review: Unfogging On a Clear Day You Can See Forever". Vulture. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Nominee Reactions: ON A CLEAR DAY's Jessie Mueller - 'I Really Wasn't Expecting It...'". Broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Jessie Mueller – Broadway’s New Star | How to Sing Like You Speak with Sally Morgan". Singlikeyouspeak.com. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Jessie Mueller « Here She Is Boys". Heresheisboys.com. 2011-11-22. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- 6:00 PM (2011-12-13). "Jessie Mueller scores in B'way debut; local troupes move north". Wbez.org. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Jessie Mueller, John Treacy Egan and Conrad John Schuck Love a Gershwin Tune; They Join 'Nice Work' March 29" playbill.com, March 29, 2013
- Gans, Andrew. "68th Annual Tony Awards Nominations Announced; 'Gentleman's Guide' Leads the Pack" Playbill, April 29, 2014
- Ferri, Josh. "Jessie Mueller Will Star as Carole King in the New Musical 'Beautiful'; Broadway Dates Announced" broadway.com, August 12, 2013
- Blank, Matthew."Photo call: Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, starring Jessie Mueller, opens on Broadway; Red carpet arrivals, curtain call and cast party" Playbill, January 14, 2014. Retrieved 14 Jan 2014
- Jessie Mueller at the Internet Broadway Database
- Jessie Mueller at the Internet Movie Database
- Jessie Mueller at the Internet Off-Broadway Database