For administrative reasons the members of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) are divided into territorial Provinces or Regions, even though their vocation is 'universal', which means that their calling is not restricted to a particular geographic area, or field of apostolic activity.
For better cooperation and apostolic efficacy, the Provinces and Regions are grouped into Jesuit Conferences that have, by and large, a continental dimension.
List of Jesuit Conferences
The six Jesuit Conferences are :
- Conferencia de Provinciales Jesuitas de América Latina [CPAL] gathers the Jesuits of 16 provinces and 3 Regions of Latin America.
- Jesuit Conference of European Provincials [CEP] gathers the Jesuits of 30 provinces and 4 regions of Europe, with the Middle-East and Canada.
- Jesuit Conference of Asia Pacific [JCAP] gathers the Jesuits of 7 provinces and 3 regions of East Asia and Oceania (including Australia).
- Jesuit Conference of South-Asia [JCSA] gathers the Jesuits of 18 provinces and 2 regions of South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka)
- Jesuit Conference of the United States [JCUSA] gathers the Jesuits of 9 provinces and 2 regions of the United States, with Jamaica and Micronesia.
- Jesuits of Africa and Madagascar [JESAM] gathers the Jesuits of 7 provinces and 1 region of sub-Saharan Africa, with Madagascar.