Location in Wayne County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||16.6 sq mi (42.9 km2)|
|• Land||16.5 sq mi (42.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
|• Density||559/sq mi (216.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0316104|
Jesup was founded in 1856 as a depot at the junction of the Macon and Brunswick Railroad and the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad. In 1873, the seat of Wayne County was transferred to Jesup from Waynesville.
Jesup is located at .(31.601866, -81.885070)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 16.6 square miles (43 km2), of which, 16.5 square miles (43 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.30%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,214 people, 2,921 households, and 2,015 families residing in the city. The population density was 561.2 people per square mile (216.6/km²). There were 3,469 housing units at an average density of 209.8 per square mile (81.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 53.97% White, 41.91% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.70% Asian, 2.20% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.17% of the population.
There were 2,921 households out of which 33.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% were married couples living together, 21.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 135.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,833, and the median income for a family was $35,955. Males had a median income of $35,191 versus $20,571 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,144. About 19.4% of families and 21.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.1% of those under age 18 and 19.3% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Wayne County School District
The Wayne County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of a pre-K centre, five elementary schools, two middle schools, a high school, and an academy school. The district has 320 full-time teachers and over 5,256 students.
Jesup is home to the Altamaha Technical College as well as one high school, Wayne County High School which is located in the city limits of Jesup, Georgia. This complex replaced the original Wayne County High School on Orange Street, and was completed in 2002. The original facility is still proving its usefulness, housing the Jesup Police, and The Boys and Girls Club of Wayne County, as well as the Alternative School. Also, all sporting events, excluding Basketball and Tennis, including Football, Baseball, Soccer, and Softball are held at the original Wayne County High School complex.
- Barret Browning - Major League Baseball Player
- Randall Bramblett - Musician.
- Lindsay Scott - Football Player.
- Len Hauss - Former NFL Football Player
- Ed Bacon - Progressive Episcopal Priest and author of 8 Habits of Love: Open Your Heart, Open Your Mind
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 234. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Contact." Federal Correctional Institution, Jesup. Retrieved on April 26, 2011. "FCI JESUP FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION 2600 HIGHWAY 301 SOUTH JESUP, GA 31599"
- "Post Office™ Location - JESUP." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on April 26, 2011. "405 E WALNUT ST JESUP, GA "
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 30, 2010.