Number of employees
JetBrains is a software development company whose tools are targeted towards software developers and project managers. The company lists 75,000 customers worldwide, among them Apple, LinkedIn, Siemens, and Bank of America.
Sergey Dmitriev had been the company's CEO for 12 years, when he entrusted the company to two newly appointed CEOs, Oleg Stepanov and Maxim Shafirov, and devoted himself to his scientific endeavors in the field of bioinformatics.
JetBrains are also the makers of tools for .NET developers, including ReSharper, dotTrace, dotMemory, dotCover and dotPeek, plus team development tools: TeamCity for continuous integration and build management, YouTrack for issue tracking and UpSource for code review.
Open source projects
In 2009, JetBrains open-sourced the core functionality of IntelliJ IDEA by offering the free and open source Community Edition. It is built on the IntelliJ Platform and includes its sources. JetBrains has applied the Apache 2.0 license to both of them. In 2010, Android support became a part of the Community Edition, and two years later Google announced its Android Studio, the IDE for mobile development on Android platform build on the Community Edition of IntelliJ IDEA and an official alternative to Eclipse Android Developer Tool.
Omea, a desktop-based reader and organizer for RSS (and later of every bit of information that comes across one’s desktop), the first and so far the only consumer-oriented product from JetBrains. Introduced in 2004, it failed to gain expected popularity. In 2008, having reached v 2.2, Omea was open-sourced under the GPL v2 license. The product is still available for download, and after the "retirement" of Google Reader, has gained some attention again.
Awards and recognition
- Jolt 2013 Awards: Coding Tools
- Visual Studio Magazine 2012 Readers Choice
- JAX Innovation Awards
- InfoWorld's 2011 Technology of the Year
- Visual Studio Magazine 2010 Editors Choice
- Jolt 2010 Productivity Awards: Development Environments
- Taft, Darryl K. (29 June 2012). "JetBrains Ships YouTrack 4.0 Agile Dev Tool". eWeek.
- Hunger, Michael (26 November 2010). "JetBrains Developer Tools". infoQ.
- "JetBrains Website/Company".
- "JetBrains Company History".
- Waters, John K. (27 July 2011). "Java IDE Maker JetBrains Creates New JVM Language". ADT Magazine.
- "12th Annual Jolt and Productivity Awards".
- Heiss, Janice J. (November 2012). "JAX Innovation Awards winners reflect the vibrancy of the Java community". Oracle Technology Network.
- "Java Posse #001 - Interview with Rob Harwood of Jetbrains about IntelliJ IDEA". 22 September 2005.
- Осипов, Антон (26 October 2012). "JetBrains назначила генеральных директоров в Санкт-Петербурге и Мюнхене". Vedomosti.
- Лаврентьева, Наталья (24 October 2012). "Российский поставщик средств разработки для Oracle и HP назначил гендиректорами двух программистов". Cnews.ru.
- Stal, Michael (23 July 2011). "JetBrains introduces the new JVM language Kotlin". InfoQ.
- Taft, Darryl (11 May 2012). "JetBrains Ships Free .NET Decompiler". eweek.
- Hunger, Michael (13 January 2012). "IDE's and Developer tools, current state and future". InfoQ.
- Walker-Morgan, Dj (21 June 2013). "TeamCity 8 brings better organisation to continuous integration". The Heise.
- Vogel, Peter (6 September 2011). "Free Tool: JetBrains YouTrack". Visual Studio Magazine.
- Handy, Alex (15 October 2009). "JetBrains creates open-source IntelliJ IDEA". SD Times.
- "InfoWorld's 2011 Technology of the Year Award winners". InfoWorld. 12 January 2011.
- "Die besten Java-IDEs". Computerwoche. 28 July 2011.
- Waters, John K. (28 February 2011). "Scrappy JetBrains Releases PhpStorm 2". ADT Magazine.
- Krill, Paul (12 October 2009). "JetBrains readies open source version of its Java IDE". InfoQ.
- Russakovskii, Artem (9 December 2010). "JetBrains Releases IntelliJ IDEA 10 With Full Android Gingerbread Support In The Free Community Edition". Android Police.
- Thomson, Iain (15 May 2013). "Live Blog: Google I/O keynote". The Register.
- Wayner, Peter (22 May 2013). "First look: Android Studio eclipses Eclipse". InfoQ.
- Blewitt, Alex (14 February 2012). "Kotlin Open Sourced". InfoQ.
- Schmidt, Julia (11 September 2013). "JetBrains MPS 3.0 mit mehr Struktur". Heise Developer.
- Krill, Paul (23 April 2004). "JetBrains storms into easy-to-use Java tools fray". Infoworld.
- Kurdi, Samer (18 March 2013). "Omea Reader: may be the only RSS aggregator which lets you attach tags and notes to RSS posts". Freewaregenious.
- "JetBrains Releases Omea Reader". InformationWeek. 6 October 2004.
- "Tim Anderson's IT Writing".
- "Google Reader: what are the alternatives?". The Guardian. 7 June 2013.
- "8 Awesome Alternatives to Google Reader". Technolect. 25 April 2013.
- Neumann, Alexander (4 October 2011). "Astella: neue IDE für Flash, Flex, AIR und HTML5 von JetBrains". Heise.
- "Jolt Awards: Coding Tools". Dr. Dobb's.
- Richards, Kathleen (6 November 2012). "Visual Studio Magazine 2012 Readers Choice Winners". Visual Studio Magazine.
- Kent, Anna (11 July 2012). "JAX Innovation Awards - Winners Revealed!!". jaxenter.
- Desmond, Michael (1 November 2010). "2010 Readers Choice Awards". Visual Studio Magazine.
- "Jolt Productivity Awards: Development Environments #1". Dr. Dobb's.