|Stable release||5.5 / 2007|
|Type||3D computer graphics|
Navisworks (known for a while as JetStream) is a 3D design review package for Microsoft Windows.
Used primarily in construction industries to complement 3D design packages (such as Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD, and MicroStation) Navisworks allows users to open and combine 3D models, navigate around them in real-time and review the model using a set of tools including comments, redlining, viewpoint, and measurements. A selection of plug-ins enhances the package adding interference detection, 4D time simulation, photorealistic rendering and PDF-like publishing.
The software was originally created by Sheffield, UK based developer NavisWorks (a subsidiary of Lightwork Design) however NavisWorks was purchased by Autodesk for $25 million in cash, on June 1, 2007.
JetStream is built around a core module called Roamer and has a number of plug-in modules that can be purchased separately.
- Roamer - The core part of JetStream allows users to open models from a range of 3D design and laser scan formats and combine them into a single 3D model. Users can then navigate around the model in real-time and add review the model with a range of mark-up tools.
- Publisher - This plug-in allows users to publish the complete 3D model into a single nwd file that can be freely opened by anyone using Freedom, a free viewer.
- Clash Detective - A plug-in to enable interference detection. This means users can select parts of the model and look for places where the geometry conflicts. This is for finding faults in the design.
- Presenter - With Presenter users can apply materials and lighting to the model and produce photorealistic images and animations
- TimeLiner - Adds 4D simulation so the user can link geometry to times and dates and to simulate the construction or demolition of the model over time. Also links with project scheduling software (Such as Microsoft Project or Primavera products) to import task data.
- RVM Reader - Adds the ability to load .rvm and associated .rvs files generated by AVEVA Plant Design Management System (PDMS).
File format support
JetStream is most notable for its support of a wide range of competing design packages. Formats natively supported include:
- NavisWorks - .nwd .nwf .nwc
- AutoCAD - .dwg .dxf
- MicroStation - .dgn .prp .prw (As of V 5.5 DGN v8 is not supported natively.)
- 3D Studio - .3ds .prj
- ASCII Laser File - .asc .txt
- DWF - .dwf
- Faro - .fls .fws .iQscan .iQmod .iQwsp
- IFC - .ifc
- IGES - .igs .iges
- Informatix - .man .cv7
- Inventor - .ipt .iam .ipj
- Leica - .pts .ptx
- Riegl - .3dd
- Recap - .rcp
- Revit - .rvt
- RVM - .rvm (Requires additional license)
- SketchUp - .skp
- STEP - .stp .step
- STL - .stl
- VRML - .wrl .wrz
- Z+F - .zfc .zfs
Additional packages are supported through exporters:
- NavisWorks 2
- NavisWorks 3
- NavisWorks JetStream
- JetStream v5
- NavisWorks 2009
- NavisWorks 2009.1
- NavisWorks 2010
- NavisWorks 2011
- NavisWorks 2012
- NavisWorks 2013
- Autodesk Navisworks Simulate 2014
- Autodesk Navisworks Manage 2014
NavisWorks also regularly distributes 'point releases' to its customers that address bugs and add support for new file formats.