Familia with the New York Mets
|New York Mets – No. 27|
October 10, 1989 |
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 4, 2012 for the New York Mets|
(through August 29, 2014)
|Earned run average||2.72|
Jeurys Familia (born October 10, 1989) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball. Familia was signed by the New York Mets as a non-drafted free agent on July 13, 2007. On September 4, 2012 he was promoted to the major leagues and made his debut. His first name is pronounced "hey-OR-ees."
Familia is 6'4" and 230 lbs; he bats and throws right-handed. Familia was signed by the New York Mets as a non-drafted free agent on July 13, 2007.
Familia pitched for the Gulf Coast Mets in 2008, compiling a 2−2 record with a 2.79 ERA in 51.2 innings pitched. In 2009 he pitched for the Single-A Savannah Sand Gnats, going 10−6 with a 2.69 ERA in 134 innings pitched. In 2010, Familia was promoted to the St. Lucie Mets of the Florida State League. He went 6–9 with a 5.58 ERA through 121 innings and struck out 10.2 batters per nine innings in a full season with St. Lucie. Also in 2010, Familia was selected to represented the Mets at the All-Star Futures Game where he pitched for the World Team.
Due to his sub-par performance in 2010, Familia began the 2011 season with the Single-A St. Lucie Mets. After six starts he went 1−1 with a 1.49 ERA in 36.1 innings. Familia was then promoted to the Double-A Binghamton Mets of the Eastern League. After his promotion to Binghamton, Familia went 4−4 with a 3.49 ERA in 87.2 innings. He finished the 2011 season across 2 minor league levels at 5−5 with a 2.9 ERA. Familia's performance made him an EAS Mid-Season All-Star. On November 18, 2011, Familia was added to the Mets 40 man roster.
After getting back on track in 2011, Familia was promoted to the Mets Triple-A affiliate, the Buffalo Bisons of the International League, in 2012. Prior to starting his minor league season, Familia was invited to the Mets Spring Training Camp. Familia was also ranked at 84th on MLB.com's best 100 prospects list and 3rd in the Mets organization prior to the start of the 2012 campaign. Through 28 starts with Buffalo, Familia went 9–9 with a 4.73 ERA. On September 4th, Familia was called up the New York Mets due to expanded September rosters.
On September 4, 2012, Familia made his major league debut against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium. He pitched a scoreless eighth inning, striking out the first batter he faced, Lance Berkman. Although Familia has predominantly started in the minors, he was used out of the bullpen as a reliever in his inaugural season.
Familia made the Mets' roster for Opening Day in 2013. He made one appearance before being optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas for Aaron Laffey. After 4 appearances there, he was recalled on April 17, replacing Greg Burke. After 7 appearances with the Mets, he was placed on the disabled list on May 12 with tendinitis in his right elbow. After starting a rehab assignment in St. Lucie, his elbow got worse, and he underwent surgery on June 5. After making one rehab start in St. Lucie and one in Brooklyn, he was activated by the Mets on September 14. He made one appearance before the end of the season. In 9 games with New York in 2013, he finished 3 games with a 4.22 ERA and a .293 OBA, striking out 8 in 10.2 innings.
Awards and honors
- "Mets call up six players from Triple-A Buffalo". MLB.com. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Familia gets call to Anaheim for Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Mets add 7 prospects to 40-man roster". MLB.com. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Mets prospects give rotation bright future". Mets.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "2012 Prospect Watch". MLB.com. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Mets unable to back Harvey in loss to Cards". MLB.com. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Mets recall RHP Greg Burke; Place RHP Jeurys Familia on the 15-Day DL". Mets Press Release. May 12, 2013.
- Carig, Marc (June 4, 2013). "Jeurys Familia will have arthroscopic surgery on right elbow Wednesday". Newsday.
- Castillo, Jorge (September 14, 2013). "Mets activate Jeurys Familia from disabled list". The Star-Ledger.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)