झारसुगुड़ा हवाई अड्डा
ଝାରସୁଗୁଡା ବିମାନ ବନ୍ଦର
Jharsuguda Airport (IATA: VEJH) is located 5 kilometres north-east of Jharsuguda in western Odisha, India. The airfield was used during World War II by the Allied Forces to counter Japanese advances. After the war and Indian Independence, the airfield was abandoned. Air Odisha launched non-scheduled commercial flights between Rourkela, Jharsuguda and Bhubaneswar on 2 November 2012. Air Odisha launched the experimental flight of a nine-seater aircraft of at Rourkela airport in the evening after being flagged off at Bhubaneswar.
Jharsuguda airport is spread over 909.22 acres. The State Government sanctioned Rs. 50 crore in July 2013 to kick-start the Rs 175-crore airport development project to be jointly executed by the Airports Authority of India(AAI) and the State Government. AAI will invest about Rs. 80 Crores for the first phase of renovation of the airport, to make it fit for operation of 15-30 seater aircraft. In the second phase, it will be upgraded to the status of a full-fledged airport. The AAI needs an additional 275.75 acres to convert it into a full-fledged airport. A 5,500 square metre new terminal building and air traffic control (ATC) tower will also be built.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Odisha||Angul, Bhubaneswar, Jeypore, Rourkela, Sambalpur (Begins October 2014)|
|Spirit Air (India)||Kolkata|
- "Air Odisha launched commercial flights between Rourkela, Jharsuguda, Bhubaneswar,". Orissa Diary. November 2, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-03.
- "Government sanctions Rs 50 crore for Jharsuguda". The Times of India. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Orissa to boost aviation with five greenfield airports". Traffic Infra Tech. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Jharsuguda airport to be developed". The Times of India. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Airport information for VEJH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Recent developments on Jharsuguda Airport
- AAI plans 2nd airport in state
- Airport plan
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|