Chacín with the Colorado Rockies
January 7, 1988 |
|July 25, 2009 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.78|
Jhoulys Jose Chacín Molina (Yo-LEASE Sha-SEEN) (born January 7, 1988) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher in the Cleveland Indians organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Colorado Rockies.
Chacín was called up directly to the majors from the Class AA Tulsa Drillers on July 24, 2009. In 2010, in his first full season in MLB with the Rockies Jhoulys Chacín had nine wins, 3.28 ERA, and led all NL rookies in strikeouts with 138.
Chacín started the 2011 season as one of the best young pitchers in baseball, but after the second half of the season, he became inconsistent with his mechanics. He did, however, finish with a record of 11–14 with a 3.62 ERA in 31 starts. In 194 innings pitched, he struck out 150. However, he led the National League in walks with 87. He threw his first career shutout in his first career complete game on April 15, 2011.
In 2012, Chacín was limited to just 14 starts due to a pectoral injury.
In 2013, Chacín rebounded to give the Rockies a much needed lift in the rotation. He finished 14-10 with 3.47 ERA in 197.1 innings pitched. He kept the ball in the ballpark, allowing 11 home runs, 6 of which were allowed in Coors Field.
Chacín began the 2014 season on the DL with shoulder inflammation. Chacín's 2014 was not good at all, as he battled through injury and inconsistency, managing to start just 11 games before being shut down for the season due to injury. His record finished at 1-7 and a career worst 5.40 ERA.
On March 22, 2015, Chacín was released by the Rockies.
On April 14, 2015, Chacín was signed to a minor league deal by the Cleveland Indians.
Jhoulys and former Major League pitcher Gustavo Chacín are second cousins.
- Miller, Doug (March 23, 2009). "Rox send three top prospects to Minors Club pares roster as Koshansky, Reynolds, Chacin latest to be cut". MLB.com. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- Ringolsby, Tracy (February 3, 2009). "Rockies top prospects, No. 2: Jhoulys Chacin, pitcher". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved April 8, 2009.
- "Jhoulys Chacin diagnosed with pectoral injury after getting second opinion - HardballTalk". nbcsports.com. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Jhoulys Chacin hopeful to miss just 2-3 weeks for Rockies". FanSided. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- Harding, Thomas (March 22, 2015). "Rockies unexpectedly part ways with Chacin". MLB.com. Retrieved March 22, 2015.
- Fox Sports Ohio (April 14, 2015). "Indians sign RHP Jhoulys Chacin". foxsports.com. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)