Jiří Menzel in 2007
23 February 1938 |
Jiří Menzel (Czech: [ˈjɪr̝iː ˈmɛntsl̩] ( )) (born February 23, 1938, Prague) is a Czech film director, theatre director, actor, and screenwriter. His films often combine a humanistic view of the world with sarcasm and provocative cinematography. Some of these films are adapted from works by Czech writers such as Bohumil Hrabal and Vladislav Vančura.
Menzel, a member of the Czech New Wave, became internationally famous in 1967, when his first feature film, Closely Watched Trains, won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. His controversial film Larks on a String was filmed in 1969, but was initially banned by the Czechoslovakian government. It was finally released in 1990 after the fall of the Communist regime. The film won the Golden Bear at the 40th Berlin International Film Festival.
Menzel was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film again in 1986 with his dark comedy My Sweet Little Village. In 1987, he was a member of the jury at the 37th Berlin International Film Festival. In 1989 he was a member of the jury at the 16th Moscow International Film Festival. In 1995 he was a member of the jury at the 19th Moscow International Film Festival. He would be conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award at IFFI in November 2013.
Filmography as director
|Year||English title||Original title||Notes|
|1960||Prefabricated Houses||Domy z panelů||School film|
|1963||Our Mr. Foerster Died||Umřel nám pan Foerster||School film|
|1965||Concert '65||Koncert 65||Short documentary|
|1965||Crime at the Girls School||Zločin v dívčí škole||Segment "Crime at the Girls School"|
|1966||Pearls from the Deep||Perličky na dně||Segment "Smrt pana Baltazara" (The Death of Mr. Balthazar)|
|1966||Closely Watched Trains||Ostře sledované vlaky||Academy Award winner|
|1968||Crime in a Music Hall||Zločin v šantánu|
|1968||Capricious Summer||Rozmarné léto|
|1969||Larks on a String||Skřivánci na niti||Banned and not released until 1990|
|1974||Altered Landscapes||Proměny krajiny||Short documentary|
|1974||Who Looks for Gold?||Kdo hledá zlaté dno|
|1976||Seclusion Near a Forest||Na samotě u lesa|
|1978||Those Wonderful Movie Cranks||Báječní muži s klikou|
|1980||Cutting It Short||Postřižiny|
|1981||Tři v tom||TV theatre|
|Dr. Johann Faust, Praha II., Karlovo nám. 40||TV theatre|
|1984||The Snowdrop Festival||Slavnosti sněženek|
|1985||My Sweet Little Village||Vesničko má středisková||Nominated for Academy Award|
|1986||Chocolate Cop||Die Schokoladenschnüffler|
|1989||End of Old Times||Konec starých časů|
|1991||Beggar's Opera||Žebrácká opera|
|1993||Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin||Život a neobyčejná dobrodružství vojáka Ivana Čonkina|
|1998||Jacobowski a plukovník||TV film|
|2002||Ten Minutes Older||Segment "One Moment"|
|2006||I Served the King of England||Obsluhoval jsem anglického krále|
|2013||The Don Juans||Donšajni|
- Hospoda (The Pub) (1996). A sitcom where Menzel played a psychiatrist, who came everyday to one Prague pub. He made lots of fun with his friends.
- Škvorecký J. Jiří Menzel and the history of the "Closely Watched Trains". Boulder: East European Monographs, 1982
- "The 40th Academy Awards (1968) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- "Berlinale: 1990 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-03-20.
- "Berlinale: Juries". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "16th Moscow International Film Festival (1989)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- "19th Moscow International Film Festival (1995)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "IFFI 2013 to open with Malayalam Film Kanyaka Talkies". Biharprabha News. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "IMDb: Skirt Chasers". http://www.imdb.com. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Česko-Slovenská filmová databáze: Donšajni". http://www.csfd.cz. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Interview with Czech director Jiri Menzel filmneweurope.com, June 13, 2014
- Laughter is the best way to get to know the world - interview with Jiří Menzel - official portal of the Czech Republic
- Jiří Menzel at the Internet Movie Database