Ji Hyun-woo at Queen In-hyun's Man press conference in April 2012
29 November 1984
|Alma mater||Sungkyunkwan University - Performing Arts|
|Revised Romanization||Ji Hyeon-wu|
|Revised Romanization||Ju Hyeong-tae|
Ji Hyun-woo (born Joo Hyung-tae on November 29, 1984) is a South Korean actor and musician. He is the lead guitarist for Korean indie rock band The Nuts and is best known for his leading role in the cable TV drama Queen In-hyun's Man.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
2003-2004: Rock band and acting debut
Besides acting, Ji is also talented musically. He started as a session guitarist for the second album of Korean band Moonchild. Then in 2004, he along with Park Joon-shik (vocals) and Kim Hyun-joong (bass) formed rock band The Nuts.
2005-2011: Musical theatre, television dramas and films
Ji continued to star on the small and big screen, among them the TV dramas Over the Rainbow (2006), Merry Mary (2007), My Sweet Seoul (2008), My Precious You (2008), Invincible Lee Pyung Kang (2009), Becoming a Billionaire (2010), and A Thousand Kisses (2011). He also appeared in the films Attack the Gas Station 2 (2009), and Mr. Idol (2011).
2011-2012: Variety show and solo artist
In 2011 Ji released his first solo single Crescendo, comprising three songs which Ji wrote and composed, and which was produced by his older brother Ji Hyun-soo who is also a member of rock band N.EX.T.
In 2012, he starred in the fantasy romance Queen In-hyun's Man on cable channel tvN, in which he played a time-traveling Joseon scholar who falls in love with an actress in the 21st century (played by Yoo In-na).
2012-2014: Military service
Ji enlisted for his mandatory military service on August 7, 2012 with the Chuncheon 102nd Reserve Forces. He was due to enlist in July but it was delayed for one month while he recovered from a back injury suffered during the filming of Queen In-hyun's Man.
In January 2013, Ji starred in military musical The Promise. It was co-produced by the Ministry of National Defense and Korea Musical Theatre Association, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the signing of the armistice. It ran from January 9 to 20 at the National Theater of Korea, with a cast composed of actors Kim Mu-yeol and Jung Tae-woo, as well as singers Leeteuk of Super Junior, Yoon Hak of Supernova, and Lee Hyun of 8Eight. The musical is centered around a group of soldiers who keeps a promise made to each other during the 6.25 war.
He was discharged on May 6, 2014.
2014-present: Return to entertainment
For his first post-army project, Ji was cast as a genius songwriter/musician who helps the heroine become a trot singer despite his distaste for the musical genre, in the romantic comedy series Trot Lovers.
At the press conference for the last episode of Queen In-hyun's Man on June 7, 2012, the actor made the surprise public declaration: "I wanted to make this confession in front of the fans who enjoyed our drama. I sincerely love Yoo In-na." After days of media frenzy and speculation, the couple were spotted on a date on June 17, 2012. Yoo In-na confirmed their relationship on her radio show on June 18, 2012, saying the two had developed feelings for each other while filming the drama. On May 14, 2014, their respective agencies confirmed in a press release that the couple have broken up.
|2003-2004||Merry Go Round||MBC|
|2004||You Will Know||Jang Sun-il||KBS2|
|Old Miss Diary||PD Ji Hyun-woo||KBS2|
|2005||Banjun Drama "My Heart Goes Pit-a-Pat"||SBS|
|Banjun Drama "Bad Student"||SBS|
|2006||Over the Rainbow||Kwon Hyuk-ju||MBC|
|2007||Merry Mary||Kang Dae-gu||MBC|
|2008||My Sweet Seoul||Yoon Tae-oh||SBS|
|2008-2009||My Precious You||Jang Shin-ho||KBS2|
|2009||Invincible Lee Pyung Kang||Woo On-dal||KBS2|
|2010||Becoming a Billionaire||Choi Seok-bong||KBS2|
|2011||A Thousand Kisses||Jang Woo-bin||MBC|
|2012||Queen In-hyun's Man||Kim Boong-do||tvN|
|2014||Trot Lovers||Jang Joon-hyun||KBS2|
|2004||The Hotel Venus||Detective|
|2006||Fly High||Kang Min-hyuk|
|Old Miss Diary - Movie||PD Ji Hyun-woo|
|2009||Attack the Gas Station 2||One Punch|
|2011||Mr. Idol||Lee Yoo-jin|
|Mnet Hotline School||Mnet||VJ|
|공채 20기 합격||KBS|
|2008-2009||I Love Movie||KBS2|
|2010||Chuseok Special: The Actress's Butler||MBC|
|2011-2012||Invincible Youth Season 2||KBS2||Host|
|2007-2008||Our Happy Days of Youth with Ji Hyun-woo||SBS Love FM||Host|
|2008-2009||Mr. Radio with Lee Hoon and Ji Hyun-woo||KBS Cool FM||Host|
*Note: the whole list below is referenced.
- The Nuts (2004)
- Whispers of Love (2006)
- Could've Been (2008)
- Crazy Love (2008)
- Truth J (2009)
- 추억여행 "Travel Memories" (2007)
- 졸업여행 "Graduation Trip" (2008)
- 바다에 입맞춤 "Kissing in the Sea" (2009)
- 2008 Ivy Mega Mix Single Collection Vol.1
- Cast recording
- Grease (musical, 2005)
- Ji Hyun-woo's Love Letter (2006)
- 외눈박이 물고기
- 애인을 구합니다
- 눈물의 크리스마스 "Christmas Tears" (duet with Park Joon-shik, from Old Miss Diary - Movie OST, 2006)
- "One&One" (from Merry Mary OST, 2007)
- 달콤한 나의 도시 "My Sweet City" (from My Sweet Seoul OST, 2008)
- 본능적으로 "Instinctively" (from tvN Show Show Show Part 1, 2011)
- Crescendo (2011)
- 아기 코끼리 "Baby Elephant"
- 좋은 중독 "Good Addiction"
- 아이야 "Kid"
Awards and nominations
|2005||KBS Entertainment Awards||Netizen Popularity Award||Old Miss Diary||Won|
|2006||MBC Drama Awards||PD Award||Over the Rainbow||Won|
|2007||Korean Entertainment and Arts Awards||Best Male Radio Host||Our Happy Days of Youth with Ji Hyun-woo||Won|
|2008||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||My Sweet Seoul||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Nominated|
|2011||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||A Thousand Kisses||Won|
- Oh, Jean (2 October 2008). "Youthful drama targets weekend audience". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A.; Han, Sang-hee (27 May 2008). "Korean Chick Lit Books Turned Into Dramas". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Kang, Myeong-seok (6 November 2009). "Press conference for KBS TV series Invincible Lee Pyung Kang". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Linda (1 December 2009). "Invincible cast unhindered by cold weather". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Wee, Geun-woo (24 February 2010). "PREVIEW: KBS TV series The Birth of the Rich". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Ji-hye (18 December 2009). "Press Conference - Attack The Gas Station 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hyo-won (6 October 2011). "Film to portray making of K-pop idols". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Kim, Jessica (30 November 2011). "Ji Hyun-woo releases 1st solo album". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (18 October 2011). "Complete cast revealed for new season of KBS' Invincible Youth". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Park, Hyun-min (27 October 2011). "Ji Hyun Woo Joined Invincible Youth for the Idols and Travel". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Suk, Monica (7 March 2012). "Ji Hyun-woo cast in tvN's fantasy drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (8 March 2012). "Ji Hyun-woo to play the lead in new tvN drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (8 May 2012). "Does Yoo In Na Think Ji Hyun Woo is a Player?". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Byung-kwan (7 August 2012). "Ji Hyun Woo Looks Happy As He Enlists In Army". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Star-Studded Army Musical to Open in January". The Chosun Ilbo. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (12 December 2012). "Super Junior's Leeteuk and Ji Hyun Woo Participate in Army Musical". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-04-04.
- Jin, Eun-soo (7 May 2014). "Ji gets out of the military". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- Jeon, Su-mi (7 May 2014). "Ji Hyun Woo to Return to Small Screen through Drama Trot Lovers". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (8 June 2012). "Ji Hyun Woo Drops Bombshell Love Confession to Yoo In Na". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (9 June 2012). "Television romance moves off screen". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (12 June 2012). "Ji Hyun Woo Tells Fans He's Alive and Well". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (13 June 2012). "Ji Hyun-woo explains his love confession". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Park, Hyun-min (18 June 2012). "Ji Hyun Woo and Yoo In Na Are a Couple". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (19 June 2012). "Yoo In-na to tell her side of love story". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (19 June 2012). "Yoo In Na Declares Ji Hyun Woo to be Her Man". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Tong-hyung (14 May 2014). "Yoo In-na, Ji Hyun-woo split". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- Chung, Joo-won (14 May 2014). "Yoo In-na, Ji Hyun-woo split: YG Entertainment". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- Kim, Hee-eun (15 May 2014). "Yoo In-na, Ji Hyun-woo split". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Ji Hyun-woo's Discography". Bugs.co.kr. Retrieved 2012-10-09.