Jif (peanut butter)
|Product type||Peanut butter|
|Owner||The J.M. Smucker Co.|
|Previous owners||Procter & Gamble|
|Tagline||"Choosy Moms Choose Jif"|
Jif is a brand of peanut butter made by The J.M. Smucker Company, which purchased the brand from Procter & Gamble in 2001. The original Creamy and Crunchy style Jif peanut butters both debuted in 1958. In 1974, Extra Crunchy Jif was introduced, followed by Simply Jif in 1991, a peanut butter variant with low sodium and less sugar than regular Jif. Reduced Fat Jif was introduced three years later in 1994. In 2014, Jif Whips was released as the first whipped peanut butter,
Since 1981, Jif has been the leading peanut butter brand in the United States.
In 1958, the brand rollout in the US involved a heavily publicized house-to-house distribution of free sample jars from special trucks emblazoned with the then Jif mascot, the "Jifaroo", a blue kangaroo.
An early slogan was "Jif is never dry; a touch of honey tells you why." Early advertising also emphasized the beveled edge of the jar base, meant to make it easier to get the last bit of Jif out of the corner.
For many decades, TV commercials for the product have ended with the tagline, "Choosy mothers choose Jif" and, in the 1990s, "Choosy moms choose Jif."
A recent ad features an example of a divide and choose scenario.
There are now ten different kinds of Jif Peanut Butter: Creamy, Extra Crunchy, Simply Jif (low sodium and sugar), Reduced Fat, Reduced Fat Crunchy, Natural Creamy, Natural Crunchy, Jif Omega-3 Creamy, Jif Omega-3 Crunchy, Chocolate Silk, and Honey Infused. Jif is also available in a 3-pack and 8-pack of individual servings of Jif Peanut butter, sold under the name "Jif to Go." In 2014, Jif introduced a new peanut butter-flavored breakfast cereal (manufactured under license by Kellogg's), met with positive feedback.
On May 7, 2012, Jif announced a new line of hazelnut spreads, which will be produced in Chocolate and Mocha Cappuccino flavors.
- Jif (lemon juice) sold in the United Kingdom and Ireland by Reckitt & Colman
- Cif cleaning products from Unilever, branded as "Jif" in Australasia and parts of Europe.
- Graphics Interchange Format (or GIF), whose prescribed pronunciation was intentionally a play on Jif.
- "J.M. Smucker Announces Stock Deal with P&G for Jif and Crisco".
- "About Jif: The History". Pillsbury Company. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Peanut Butter Products: Flavors and Varieties from Jif". Pillsbury Company. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- "Peanut Butter Brand Jif to Launch Line of Hazelnut Spreads". Foodbeast.com. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Fun Tidbits". The J.M. Smucker Company. Archived from the original on March 28, 2010. Retrieved 2007-12-28.