Jil Sander (brand)
|Type||S.p.A. / division of holding company|
|Industry||Retail, apparel and textile products|
|Founded||Hamburg, Germany 1968|
|Key people||Alessandro Cremonesi (CEO)|
|Parent||Onward Holdings Co. Ltd (TYO: 8016)|
History of ownership
Founded in 1968, the company went public in 1989. In 1999 Prada Group bought a 75% share in the company. Six months later, Sander departed the company, and it suffered serious financial setbacks. She returned briefly in 2003.
In 2006, private equity firm Change Capital Partners LLP (CCP) bought the company from Prada. At that point, the Telegraph reported that the company was in better shape financially. Prada CEO Patrizio Bertelli said: "As we focus on the development of the Prada and Miu Miu brands, I am certain that Change Capital Partners will be able to provide the necessary investment to further grow the Jil Sander business." Raf Simons remained creative director at Jil Sander.
In September 2008, the Jil Sander brand was purchased by Onward Holdings Co. Ltd (TYO: 8016), a Japanese multi-brand fashion conglomerate, and its European subsidiary GIBO' CO. S.p.A. for about US $244 million.
Product range since 2000
In May 2005, it was announced that Raf Simons had become creative director for the women's and men's collection. Simons wanted to "strip it down so there was nothing that wasn't necessary". Suzy Menkes, the principal fashion writer for the International Herald Tribune, said that some items in the collection “made exceptional pieces” but overall it “was not as strong as” before. The Fall/Winter collection, however, received accolades from IHT. Simons' first women’s collection was shown at Milan Fashion Week in 2006. The collection received a positive review from The Evening Standard  and the LA Times.
- Jil Sander: 1973—2000, 2003—2004, 2012—2013
- Milan Vukmirovic: 2000—2003
- Raf Simons: 2005—2012
- Businessweek - Company Overview of Jil Sander
- style.com - Jil Sander
- nymag.com - Jil Sander
- "JIL SANDER (BRAND)". Vogue.
- White, Belinda (February 23, 2012). "Jil Sander to return to Jil Sander?". London: Telegraph.
- Bloomberg - Prada Sells Jil Sander to Vandevelde's Change Capital
- Wilson, Eric (February 24, 2006). "Private Equity Group to Buy Jil Sander Label From Prada". The New York Times.
- The Telegraph Jil Sander returns to fashion with Uniqlo (23 Mar 2009)
- Change Capital Partners Change Capital Partners to sell Jil Sander to Onward and GIBO (01 Sep 2008)
- http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/cl-et-fashion22feb22,0,7366751.story?coll=la-home-style. Missing or empty
- Exile's Return Slate, Oct. 13, 2003
- Infomat Who's Who: Jil Sander (last update: 1997)
- Bloomberg: Prada Sells Jil Sander February 23, 2006
- The Independent: Vandevelde snaps up Jil Sander for £68m February 24, 2006