|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (July 2010)|
Jill Daniels (born in Manchester, England) is an award winning British independent filmmaker and a Senior Lecturer in Film at The University of East London. She comes from a Jewish family of Romanian and Russian extraction. Leaving school at 16 and home when still a teenager and uncertain of what route her future career should take, she spent some time in Spain, working as a disco dancer and DJ in Madrid and Bilbao, as well as tending bar at the Fat Black Pussy Cat in the Carihuela, Torremolinos. Returning to England she became a single parent and studied fine art at Wimbledon School of Art. She received an M.A. in Film and Television from the Royal College of Art, London. She was a founding member and the London Secretary of the Independent Filmmakers Association.
During the 80s she worked for several years with the single homeless. As a fighter for women’s rights she joined the Working Women’s Charter Campaign and edited the newspaper Women’s Fight, from 1977 to 1981 where only women worked and that she says “gradually turned me into a political journalist.” This was from 1977 to 1981. In 1991 she was a jury member of the Huesca International Film Festival, Spain. She sees herself as an oppositional filmmaker, working outside the system. She teaches film and video at the University of East London.
Daniels’ work has been shown, amongst others, at the Barbican, London, the National Film Theatre, London; the Cinematheque, Lisbon; the Flea Pit, London and at the film festivals Expanded Cinema, the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London; Feminale, Cologne, Germany; Astra Film Festival, Sibiu, Romania; Athens International Film & Video Festival, Ohio, US; Creteil, France; Nuoro, Sardinia; Taipei, Taiwan; British Film Festival, Los Angeles.
Her work is distributed by 10 Francs, France; National Film Network, US; Cinenova, UK.
Awards and grants
Grants from the Hubert Bals Fund, Rotterdam Film Festival; The Open Society Human Rights Film Fund now incorporated into the Sundance Film Festival; South East Arts, UK; Northern Arts, UK; Border Television, UK; Macedonian Human Rights Society, Canada; Report International Ltd
- Small Town Girl, best UK documentary, British Film Festival, Los Angeles, US, 2009; Nominated best UK documentary, Swansea Life Film Festival, Wales, 2008
- Fool’s Gold, Jury award, Athens International Film & Video Festival, Athens, Ohio, US, 2003. Audience Award Best American Folk Film, Dahlonega International Film Festival, Dahlonega, Georgia, US, 2003. Audience Award Best Documentary Feature, Downstream International Film Festival, Gainesville, Georgia, US, 2002.
- I’m In Heaven, Best Fiction Film, Huesca International Film Festival, Huesca, Spain, 1990.
- Not Reconciled (2009) 41 min, colour, video
- Small Town Girl (2007) 82 min, colour, video
- Lost in Gainesville (2005 ) 55 min, colour, video
- Spirits (2003) 5 min, colour, video
- Fool’s Gold (2002) 55 min, colour, video
- Next Year In Lerin (2000) 45 min, colour, video
- Killing Time' (2000) 3 min, colour, video
- Skin Deep (1998) 40 min, colour video
- Assault (1994) 11 min, colour, 16mm
- Secret Heart (1994) 25 min, colour, 16mm
- Exiles (1992) 45 min, colour, 16mm
- I’m In Heaven (1989) colour, 30 min, 16mm
- Debacle (1977) 50 mins, b&w, 16mm
- Description (1974) 37 min, b&w, 16mm, Double Screen
- Rooms/Figures (1973) 10 min, b&w, 16mm
References & Bibliography
- DeLeeuw-Taylor, Monika. Micro Filmmaker Magazine, November 2008 http://www.microfilmmaker.com/critiques/Issue36/SmTown_1.html
- Thumim, Nancy. “Challenges in representing anyone” Vertigo Magazine, No 14., December, 2007. http://www.vertigomagazine.co.uk/showarticle.php?sel=bac&siz=0&id=944
- Hall, Sharon. Dahlonega Nugget, articles June 2003 & July 2002.
- Wen, Tien-Hsiang “Looking Beyond Prejudice to a New Vision” Taiwan International Film Festival Catalogue 2001
“A life full of contradictions dedicated to film” Huesca International Film Festival Newspaper; June 1991
- Jill Daniels official website "http://www.jilldanielsfilms.com" www.jilldanielsfilms.com
- Jill Daniels on the Internet Movie Database "http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0199977/" http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0199977/
- Jill Daniels on YouTube "http://www.youtube.com/user/jilldaniels" http://www.youtube.com/user/jilldaniels
- Jill Daniels' Staff webpage at UEL "http://www.uel.ac.uk/adi/staff/jilldaniels/"