She joined the Department of External Studies at Leeds University in 1982 and became a Reader in Gender History, School of Continuing Education, until her transfer to the Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies, where she is currently Honorary Research Fellow.
Liddington's book Female Fortune: Land, Gender and Authority was chosen by feminist and TV writer Sally Wainwright as the book she would want with her to read if she was ever trapped on a desert island.
- Liddington, J. (2006) Rebel Girls: their fight for the vote, Virago Press.
- Liddington, J. (1998) Female Fortune: Land, Gender and Authority: the Anne Lister diaries 1833-36, Rivers Oram Press.
- Liddington, J. (1989) The Long Road to Greenham: feminism and anti-militarism in Britain since 1820, Virago Press.
- Liddington, J. (1984) Respectable Rebel: the life and times of Selina Cooper 1864-1946, Virago Press.
- Liddington, J.; Norris, J. (1978) One Hand Tied Behind Us: the rise of the women's suffrage movement, Virago Press.
- Liddington, Jill. The Long Road to Greenham: Feminism and Anti-Militarism in Britain since 1820. London: Virago, 1989. ISBN 0-86068-688-0.
- Jill Liddington's website
- Jill Liddington at Gender Studies, University of Leeds
- Bristol Rovers Official Website