Jill Morgenthaler (born March 31, 1954) was the 2008 Democratic nominee for Illinois' 6th congressional district defeating Stan Jagla in the primary. Morgenthaler was defeated by Peter Roskam, a Wheaton, Illinois Republican, in the Nov 2008 general election, by a 16% margin (58% to 42%),
She has received the following degrees: a Masters of Strategic Studies from the Army War College, a Masters of Arts in International Policy Studies from the Monterey Institute of International Studies, and a Bachelor of Arts from Pennsylvania State University.
She has served in Korea, Berlin, Bosnia, and Iraq. She handled disaster recovery during the San Francisco earthquake of 1989. In 2004, she handled press duties for the Army, including addressing the Abu Ghraib scandal.
Morgenthaler ran, as a non-resident of the 6th congressional district after the district line was redrawn by the Republican Party when U.S. Congressman Henry Hyde was in office. Morgenthaler is now four blocks outside of the 6th Congressional District and has lived in Des Plaines, Illinois for 16 years with her husband and two teenage children. The U.S. Constitution requires only that a member, when elected, be "an inhabitant of the state in which he shall be chosen." Illinois does not have a district residency requirement.
- The Courage to Take Command: Leadership Lessons from a Military Trailblazer. McGraw Hill, 2015. ISBN 9780071834940
- Morgenthaler concedes to Roskam. Chicago Daily Herald, November 5, 2008.
- "Front & Center with John Callaway: Today's National Guard | Pritzker Military Museum & Library | Chicago". Pritzkermilitary.org. 2007-09-06. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "The Courage to Take Command: Leadership Lessons from a Military Trailblazer - Jill Morgenthaler". Mcgraw-hill.com.sg. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Front & Center with John Callaway: Women in the U.S. Military: A Changing Role? | Pritzker Military Museum & Library | Chicago". Pritzkermilitary.org. 2005-07-25. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Likely nominee chided for Abu Ghraib comment, Josh Kraushaar, Politico, October 30, 2007
- , Military.com
- Lack of training, stress are blamed in abuse of Iraqis, Tom Bowman, Baltimore Sun, April 30, 2004
- Democrats will have primary for chance to unseat Roskam, Marni Pyke, Daily Herald, October 26, 2007
- Democrats could run veteran against Roskam again Chicago Tribune. January 30, 2008. Retrieved April 22, 2008
-  The Hill, March 9, 2006
- "The Courage to Take Command: Leadership Lessons from a Military Trailblazer eBook: Jill Morgenthaler: Kindle Store". Amazon.com. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Jill Morgenthaler for Congress '08 official campaign website
- Her participation in panel discussion Today's National Guard: Ready or Wanting? at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library
- Her participation in panel discussion Women in the U.S. Military: A Changing Role? at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|