Jill Mulvay Derr
Jill Mulvay Derr (born September 8, 1948) was an American history professor at Brigham Young University (BYU) and the director of the Joseph Fielding Smith Institute for Church History, as well as the president of the Mormon History Association.
Derr was raised as Jill C. Mulvay in Salt Lake City. Some of her publications have been credited under her maiden name.
Derr is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Derr is married to C. Brooklyn Derr, and in the early 1985 they lived for a year in France, where Derr served as a counselor in the ward Relief Society presidency. The Derrs are the parents of four children.
Derr edited Women's Voices: An Untold History of the Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900 with Kenneth W. Godfrey and Audrey M. Godfrey. She also co-wrote Women of the Covenant: The Story of Relief Society (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1992). She has also written articles related to Mormon women's history that have been published in Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought and the Utah Historical Quarterly. Her paper on Sarah M. Kimball received first prize in the 1976 Utah Bicentennial Biographies contest.
The following is a partial list of Derr's published work:
- Derr, Jill Mulvay (1976), Sarah M. Kimball, Salt Lake City: Utah State Historical Society. Published as a pamphlet by Signature Books in 1981.
- Godfrey, Kenneth W.; Godfrey, Audrey M.; Derr, Jill Mulvay, eds. (1982). Women's Voices: An Untold History of the Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87747-909-7.
- Derr, Jill Mulvay; Janath Russell Cannon; Maureen Ursenbach Beecher (1992). Women of the Covenant: The Story of Relief Society. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book. ISBN 0-87579-593-5.
- Snow, Eliza R.; Jill Mulvay Derr; Karen Lynn Davidson (2009). Eliza R. Snow: The Complete Poetry. Provo and Salt Lake City: BYU Press and University of Utah Press. ISBN 978-0-8425-2737-8.
- C. Brooklyn Derr. "Messages from two Cultures: Mormon Leaders in France, 1985" in Dialogue, 21 (2) Summer 1988, p. 98-111.
- Jill Mulvay Derr at the MLCA Database
- Works by or about Jill Mulvay Derr in libraries (WorldCat catalog)