Jill Sobule (album)
|Studio album by Jill Sobule|
|Recorded||Alex The Great Recording
|Label||Lava / Atlantic|
|Producer||Brad Jones, Robin Eaton|
|Jill Sobule chronology|
All songs written and composed by Jill Sobule & Robin Eaton, except as noted.
|1.||"Good Person Inside"||Sobule||3:12|
|2.||"Margaret"||Sobule, Nicky Holland||3:18|
|3.||"(Theme From) The Girl in the Affair"||Sobule||3:53|
|4.||"Karen by Night"||3:58|
|7.||"I Kissed a Girl"||3:13|
|8.||"The Jig Is Up"||4:14|
|10.||"Supermodel"||David Baerwald, David Kitay, Brian MacLeod, Kristen Vigard||3:08|
|11.||"The Couple on the Street"||3:24|
|13.||"Now That I Don't Have You"||3:49|
The first release of the album does not contain "Supermodel." After "Supermodel" appeared on the Clueless soundtrack and was released as a single, the album was reissued with the song included.
Katy Perry song
The singer Katy Perry would use the title "I Kissed a Girl" for her own song of that name, which appeared in her 2008 album One of the Boys. The song received a mixed reception, and was unfavourably compared to Sobule's original song by some commentators: Hiponline.com wrote that the song is "not nearly as interesting or exciting as you’d expect. It’s not even half as good as Jill Sobule’s song 'I Kissed a Girl'". Glitterati Gossip wrote that Sobule's song "was ten times better, because there was actual emotional content to her lyrics". Sobule shared her feelings about Perry's song and use of the title in a July 2009 interview with The Rumpus:
When Katy Perry's song came out I started getting tons of inquiries about what I thought. Some folks (and protective friends) were angry, and wondered why she took my title and made it into this kind of "girls gone wild" thing....
As a musician I have always refrained from criticizing another artist. I was, "Well, good for her." It did bug me a little bit, however, when she said she came up with the idea for the title in a dream. In truth, she wrote it with a team of professional writers and was signed by the very same guy that signed me in 1995. I have not mentioned that in interviews as I don't want to sound bitter or petty...
Okay, maybe, if I really think about it, there were a few jealous and pissed-off moments. So here goes, for the first time in an interview: Fuck you Katy Perry, you fucking stupid, maybe 'not good for the gays,' title-thieving, haven't heard much else, so not quite sure if you're talented, fucking little slut.
God that felt good.
I thought maybe this time I would have fun with it and goof on what many of my fans were hoping to hear over the last year. I prefaced my reply with a wink, and then rambled on with a string of over the top dumb-ass profanities, purposely out of character and completely in jest ... I may be a touch cynical about the business, but I have never really been angry or had ill feelings towards Katy herself. I was actually in a small way happy to not be the "Kissed a Girl" girl anymore.
- Jill Sobule - guitar, sound effects, vocals, background vocals, tambo drums
- Sam Bacco - percussion, tympani
- Richard Barone - vocals, background vocals
- Pat Bergeson - harmonica
- J.D. Blair - snare drums
- Chris Carmichael - violin, cello
- Sue Davis - background vocals
- Robin Eaton - bass, guitar, vocals, background vocals
- Buddy Emmons - pedal steel
- Mac Gayden - banjo
- Byron House - bass
- Brad Jones - organ, synthesizer, bass, flute, guitar, mandolin, piano, keyboards
- Wayne Kramer - bass
- Craig Krampf - drums
- Viktor Krauss - bass
- Kenny Malone - percussion, drums
- Jerry Dale McFadden - accordion, sound effects
- Eric Moon - keyboards
- Al Perkins - pedal steel
- Ross Rice - drums, electric piano
- Kirby Shelstad - drums, talking drum
- Jim Wizniewski - flute
- Production: Brad Jones & Robin Eaton
- Engineering: Brad Jones
- Mixing: Roger Moutenot
- Mastering: Greg Calbi
|1995||"I Kissed a Girl"||Modern Rock Tracks||20|
|Billboard Hot 100||67|
|Australian Singles Chart||36|
- Raegun (2008). "Katy Perry - One of the Boys - review", HipOnline.com. Posted: June 16, 2008. Retrieved June 22, 2008.
- "Katy Perry Irritates The Hell Out Of Me", Glitterati Gossip. March 24, 2008.
- "The Rumpus Interview with Jill Sobule". The Rumpus. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Sobule, Jill (2009-08-19). "My "Feud" With Katy Perry". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "I Kissed a Girl - Australian chart run". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 17 January 2010.