Jillian van Turnhout
|Jillian van Turnhout|
20 May 2011
|Constituency||Nominated by the Taoiseach|
29 March 1968 |
|Spouse(s)||Michael van Turnhout|
She has previously been Chief Commissioner of the Irish Girl Guides (IGG); President of the National Youth Council of Ireland (NYCI) and is a member of the National Youth Work Advisory Committee. She was also Secretary General of the ECB-BEC (predecessor to the European Youth Forum) and is the former chief executive of the Children's Rights Alliance.
While a Senator, Van Turnhout undertakes a number of volunteer roles including Chair of Early Childhood Ireland; Vice Chairperson of the European Movement Ireland; a Board member of Women for Election; and a Director of the Irish Girl Guides Trust Corporation Limited.
Van Turnhout was a member and Vice-President of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC). She was first nominated in 1998 by the Community and Voluntary Pillar on behalf of the NYCI to the EESC and was appointed by the Government. For a two-year period between 2006 and 2008, she was Vice-President where she was involved in Social Affairs, External Relations and Communications. Representing the EESC, she was on the Steering Group of the EU Forum on the Rights of the Child and the EU-China Round Table.
In May 2011, she was nominated by the Taoiseach Enda Kenny to the 24th Seanad. She is married to Michael van Turnhout who works in the private sector and is a member of Fine Gael. He previously served as constituency chairperson for Dublin South and is a former member of their Executive Council.
- "Ms. Jillian van Turnhout". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Staff". Children's Rights Alliance. 9 November 2011.
- "Congratulations, Entrepreneurs Ireland Award". European Movement Ireland. 5 March 2012.
- "European Citizens' Initiative: Information Seminar". Children's Rights Alliance. 18 October 2011.
- "Biography". Children's Rights Alliance. 9 November 2011.
- "WMB Conference & Awards 2010". BizStartUp. 9 November 2011.
- Edwards, Elaine (20 May 2011). "McAleese appointed to Seanad". The Irish Times.
- "Jillian van Turnhout". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Michael van Turnhout". Fine Gael. Retrieved 10 November 2010.
|This article about an independent politician in Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|