Jim Blasingame is an American small business expert, radio talk show host, author, syndicated columnist, keynote speaker, and president of Small Business Network, Inc., a media company dedicated to serving small business. He is the creator and award-winning host of the nationally syndicated talk radio show The Small Business Advocate Show, which focuses on small business and entrepreneurship issues. He is the author of Small Business Is Like a Bunch of Bananas and Three Minutes to Success.
Blasingame is an alumnus of the University of North Alabama.
After more than 20 years as a successful employee/manager/executive of big businesses, including multi-year tenures with Sears and Xerox, Blasingame founded his consulting firm in 1989 to focus on supporting small business CEOs. His tag line was, "I'm an executive vice president you can rent."
In 1997, Blasingame founded the media company, Small Business Network, Inc. (SBN), so he could "talk to more than one person at a time." The new company was founded for the purposed of helping small business owners have the maximum opportunity to be successful along the ownership continuum, from start-up to growing enterprise to divesting.
The company's initial medium was radio as Blasingame began broadcasting his nationally syndicated weekday radio program, The Small Business Advocate Show, in November 1997. Two months later, in January 1998, he began simulcasting his program on the Internet. Today, Blasingame conducts over 1,000 live interviews annually with experts on topics relevant to challenges and opportunities of 21st century small businesses. These live radio interviews result in the production of 10 separate Internet podcasts every weekday and 2,600 annually.
In November 19, 1999, Blasingame added another media channel, this time for his writing, with the launch of The Small Business Advocate NEWSLETTER, a weekly e-zine, which has been distributed every Sunday since its founding. In 2002, Blasingame published his first book, Small Business is Like a Bunch of Bananas (SBN Books), and in 2006, his second book, Three Minutes to Success (SBN Books), which have sold over 90,000 copies combined.
He is a syndicated newspaper columnist, as well as a columnist for American Express OPENForum.com, NASDAQ.com and Forbes.com. Blasingame is also the founder of AskJim.biz, a small business knowledgebase and his blog at JimsBlog.biz. He has made TV appearances on FoxBusiness and MSNBC, and has been quoted in such publications as Fortune Small Business, CNN.com, New York Enterprise Report, U.S. News & World Report and the Los Angeles Times.
Part of Blasingame’s work is devoted to helping big businesses “speak small business as a second language.” In this role he has worked with a long list of organizations, including IBM, Administaff, FedEx, Aflac, American Express, Office Depot, NASCAR, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Small Business Administration, U.S. Trade Representative’s Office, Ex-Im Bank, Sage Business Solutions, Zions Bank, Clarke American Checks, U.S. Commercial Service, Business Networking International, Bloomberg Television, Wall Street Journal, Advanced Micro Devices, American Chamber of Commerce Executives, Association of Small Business Development Centers, AmCham, and many local chambers of commerce, to name a few.
Blasingame’s 1st Law of Small Business states, “It’s easy to start a small business, but it’s not easy to run one successfully.” His professional life is dedicated to those who employ over half of all private sector employees and generate over 60% of net new jobs. Blasingame writes and speaks on how small businesses can become vendor-partners with large businesses, and he teaches large businesses how to connect with and sell to small businesses.
Blasingame believes we're entering what he calls "the Age of the Customer,"and that small businesses will have a decided advantage in this new age.
Awards and Recognition
2009 Champion of the Chamber Movement, American Chamber of Commerce Executives (ACCE)
2009 Champion of Small Business Development Award, Association of Small Business Development Centers 
2009 Small Business Advocate of the Year, New York Enterprise Report 
April 2005 Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council Small Business Advocate of the Month 
2002 Small Business Journalist of the Year, by the U.S. Small Business Administration 
2000 One of the 30 most influential small business experts, by FORTUNE Small Business magazine 
- Blasingame, Jim (2006). Three Minutes to Success. Alabama: SBN Books. p. 119. ISBN 978-0-9709278-1-1.
- Blasingame, Jim (2002). Small Business Is Like a Bunch of Bananas: You Have to Remove the Peels to Get to the Good Stuff. Alabama: SBN Books. p. 122. ISBN 978-0-9709278-0-4.
- Fortune Small Business "Targeting local prospects for direct marketing",Fortune Small Business, February 12, 2008.
- CNN.com "Expert: Discipline, love key to home business",CNN.com, October 12, 2007.
- New York Enterprise Report "5 Minutes With... Jim Blasingame",New York Enterprise Report, December 1, 2008.
- U.S. News "Preparing Your Small Business for a Recession",U.S. News : Money Business & Economy, March 7, 2008.
- Los Angeles Times "For three fragrance firms, joing forces sometimes makes scents",Lost Angeles Times, April 14, 2009
- U.S. Small Business Administration FAQs "U.S. Small Business Administration FAQs",U.S. Small Business Administration, February 22, 2011.
- PR Web "NewsGuide.us", NewsGuide.us, December 8, 2009.
- Daily News "NewsGuide.us", NewsGuide.us, September 28, 2008.
- PR Web "PR Web", PR Web, October 6, 2009.
- Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council "SBE Council", SBE Council, April 29, 2005.
- U.S. Small Business Administration "Jim Blasingame Named Small Business Journalist Advocate Of The Year", The Small Business Advocate, June 2002.
- FORTUNE Small Business magazine "2000 FORTUNE The Power 30", CNN Money, September 1, 2000.