Jim Bob Duggar
|Jim Bob Duggar|
|Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar in 2006|
|Member of the Arkansas House of Representatives
from the 6th district
|Preceded by||Louis McJunkin|
|Succeeded by||Jodie Mahony|
|Born||James Robert Duggar
July 18, 1965
Springdale, Arkansas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Michelle Ruark (1984–present)|
|Occupation||Realtor, investor, reality TV personality (19 Kids and Counting), author|
James Robert "Jim Bob" Duggar (born July 18, 1965) is a real estate agent and television personality on the reality series 19 Kids and Counting. He is a former state legislator who served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 1999 to 2002.
Duggar was born in Springdale, Arkansas, the son of Jimmy Lee Duggar (1936–2009), who operated several local businesses, and Mary Duggar (born 1941), a homemaker and ice cream store owner. Duggar has an older sister, Deanna.
Arkansas House of Representatives 
From 1999 to 2002, Duggar served in the Arkansas House of Representatives for the sixth district, which included part of northern Washington County, Arkansas. Duggar was vice chair of the House Corrections and Criminal Law Subcommittee and also participated in the Insurance and Commerce Committee and Judiciary Committee.
He also ran in the Republican Party of Arkansas primary election for the United States Senate in 2002, but lost to Tim Hutchinson. Duggar sought the Republican nomination to the Arkansas State Senate District 35 seat in 2006, but lost to candidate Bill Pritchard by 200 votes. He is a licensed realtor, and owns several commercial properties in his local area as an investor.
Marriage and children 
In 1984, he married Michelle Ruark. Jim Bob and Michelle have 19 children: Joshua ("Josh") (b. 1988), twins Jana and John-David (b. 1990), Jill (b. 1991), Jessa (b. 1992), Jinger (b. 1993), Joseph (b. 1995), Josiah (b. 1996), Joy-Anna (b. 1997), twins Jedidiah and Jeremiah (b. 1998), Jason (b. 2000), James (b. 2001), Justin (b. 2002), Jackson (b. 2004), Johannah (b. 2005), Jennifer (b. 2007), Jordyn-Grace (b. 2008), and Josie (b. 2009). The family have been featured on their own reality series, 19 Kids and Counting, since September 29, 2008. On November 8, 2011, Michelle announced that she was pregnant with their 20th child, which they named Jubilee, but on December 8, 2011, it was announced that she had miscarried. He and his family are Independent Baptist Christians and members of the Institute in Basic Life Principles organization. His oldest daughter, Jana, is a leader at the IBLP's Journey to the Heart youth ministry.
Jim Bob and Michelle have two grandchildren from their eldest child, Josh, and his wife, Anna; daughter Mackynzie (b. 2009), and son Michael (b. 2011). It was announced on March 11, 2013 that a third grandchild was due in summer 2013. It was also announced on April 3, 2013 that they're expecting a boy on June 7, 2013.
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have written two books together, both published by Howard Books. The first is titled The Duggars: 20 and Counting!, which was released on December 2, 2008. Their second is A Love That Multiplies, which was released June 7, 2011.
Other political activities 
- Duggar, Michelle & Jim Bob (2011). A love that multiplies. Nashville, Tenn.: Howard Books. pp. 228, 275, 276, 281. ISBN 1-4391-8381-3.
- "Prayers for "Grand Pa" Jim Duggar.". Discovery Health. February 11, 2009. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- "Counting their blessings". San Diego Union Tribune. January 5, 2006. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Patrick, Galen (December 13, 2011). "Memorial Ceremony Held by Jim Bob, Michelle Duggar for Jubilee Shalom". Ontario, Canada: MJB Star. Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- Arkansas House District Map as of 2002. The yellow district at the northern part of Washington County is the sixth.
- Considine, Bob (May 9, 2008). "Mom pregnant with 18th child". MSNBC (New York, USA: NBCUniversal). Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- "Representative Jim Bob Duggar". Arkansas Legislature. Archived from the original on November 7, 2002.
- Staff reporter (May 23, 2002). "Senator Wins in Arkansas". The New York Times.
- Doug Thompson (March 29, 2006). "Duggar runs for Springdale state Senate seat". Arkansas News Bureau.
- Rengers, Carrie (September 9, 2001). "13 Children Add Up To Asset For Challenger". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
- The Duggars: 20 and Counting!. Google Books. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Celizic, Mike (September 21, 2007). "Meet the Duggar family – all 19 of them". MSNBC (New York, USA: NBCUniversal). Retrieved December 31, 2011.
- "Michelle Duggar, feminist?". Washington Post. November 9, 2011.
- Dennis, Alicia. "Michelle Duggar Miscarries". People.com. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- "A Duggar on Her Own". Duggar Family Blog. September 25, 2012
- "Josh and Anna Duggar Expecting Third Baby". people.com. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- O'Brien, Michael (January 2, 2012). "Santorum wins support of TLC's Duggar clan". MSNBC. NBCUniversal. Retrieved January 3, 2012.