Jim Bryson (circa 2007)
|Born||30 April 1969|
|Origin||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Folk, indie rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, banjo, piano|
|Labels||Kelp, MapleMusic Recordings|
|Associated acts||Punchbuggy, The Weakerthans, Kathleen Edwards, Hilotrons|
Jim Bryson is a Canadian singer-songwriter. Briefly a founding member of the band Punchbuggy, he moved to a musical life under his own name with the release of his debut album, The Occasionals, in 2000.
A member of singer-songwriter Kathleen Edwards's touring band, Bryson has also toured and recorded with many other artists, including Howe Gelb, Lynn Miles, Sarah Harmer, The Weakerthans, Hilotrons and The Tragically Hip.
It was announced in January 2010 that Bryson was recording songs with the Weakerthans for his next album. That album, The Falcon Lake Incident, was released October 19, 2010. He also produced Tanya Davis' 2010 album Clocks and Hearts Keep Going.
In June 2012, he launched a "Catch and Release" series with singer-songwriter Jeremy Fisher, in which the two musicians collaborated on a project to write and release a song in a single day. The first song in the series, "The Age of Asparagus", was released on June 7, 2012. He has also collaborated with Ottawa musician Chris Page; under the band name Owl Mountain Radar, this duo contributed a cover of The Nils' song "Daylight" to the 2011 compilation album Have Not Been the Same - Vol. 1: Too Cool to Live, Too Smart to Die.
- The Occasionals (2000)
- The North Side Benches (2003)
- Where the Bungalows Roam (2007)
- Live at the First Baptist Church (2008)
- The Falcon Lake Incident (2010)
- Kathleen Edwards, Failer (2002)
- Kate Maki, Confusion Unlimited (2003)
- Lynn Miles, Unravel (2003)
- Kate Maki, The Sun Will Find Us (2004)
- Sarah Harmer, All of Our Names (2004)
- Kathleen Edwards, Back to Me (2005)
- Howe Gelb, 'Sno Angel Like You (2006)
- Tanya Davis, Clocks and Hearts Keep Going (2010)
- Michael Feuerstack, Singer Songer (2014)
- MacNeil, Jason. "Kathleen Edwards smells the flowers". Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- "The Weakerthans Set Release Date for New Live Album". Exclaim!, January 7, 2010.
- "Jim Bryson Recruits the Weakerthans for The Falcon Lake Incident". Exclaim!, September 23, 2010.
- "Tanya Davis keeps going". The Coast, November 18, 2010.
- "Jim Bryson and Jeremy Fisher launch Catch & Release series". CBC Radio 3, June 5, 2012.
- "Jim Bryson and Jeremy Fisher team up for new project, release new song". CBC Radio 3, June 7, 2012.
- "'Have Not Been the Same' Book Spawns Covers Comp Featuring Kevin Drew, the Hidden Cameras, Great Lake Swimmers, Bry Webb". Exclaim!, November 14, 2011.