Jim Byrnes (actor)
Jim Byrnes at Japan Expo 2010
|Born||James Thomas Kevin Byrnes
September 22, 1948
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Occupation||Musician, film, TV, voice actor|
Life and career
Byrnes was born in St. Louis, Missouri, to a homemaker mother and a municipal accountant father. He has lived in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, since the mid-1970s. On February 26, 1972, he was struck by a passing car while he attempted to help a friend move a stalled truck, which caused him to lose both his legs. Fifteen years to the day after the accident, he started appearing on Wiseguy as Daniel Burroughs, better known as Lifeguard. It was his first major role and lasted until 1990. Later, he starred in the fantasy television series Highlander: The Series as Joe Dawson, a member of a secret society known as the "Watchers." He reprised his role as Joe Dawson in Highlander: Endgame and Highlander: The Source, later installments of the Highlander film series, as well as providing voices for the anime Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. He starred in his own short-lived TV show, called The Jim Byrnes Show.
His other television roles include Higher Ground and cartoon voices in Beast Wars: Transformers, Beast Machines: Transformers, Shadow Raiders, Stargate Infinity, Dinosaur Train as Percy Paramacellodus, Colonel Nick Fury in X-Men: Evolution and as Duke Dermail in Gundam Wing. He appeared in the Taken mini series, which broadcast on the Sci-Fi Channel and an episode of Twilight Zone entitled "Harsh Mistress". He has also appeared on the Syfy series Sanctuary, appearing as the father of Helen Magnus, played by Amanda Tapping and as Shineoa San in an episode of Andromeda as well as the voice of Virgil Vox in nine additional episodes.
As a musician, Byrnes has won the Juno Award for Blues Album of the Year three times, for That River in 1996 and House of Refuge on Black Hen Music in 2007, and for "Everywhere West" in 2011. Byrnes was also honoured at the 2006 Maple Blues Awards, as Male Vocalist of the Year, and at the 2006 and 2009 Canadian Folk Music Awards.
- Burning (1981) Polydor (vinyl)
- I Turned My Nights Into Days (1987) Stony Plain Records (vinyl)
- That River (1995) Stony Plain
- Love Is A Gamble (2001) One Coyote Music
- Fresh Horses (2004) Black Hen Music
- House of Refuge (2006) Black Hen Music
- My Walking Stick (2009) Black Hen Music
- Everywhere West (2011) Black Hen Music
- I Hear the Wind in the Wires (2012) Black Hen Music
- St. Louis Times (2014) Black Hen Music
- Wiseguy, as the Lifeguard
- Highlander series, as Joe Dawson
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog- Additional voices
- Beast Wars: Transformers-Inferno
- Beast Machines-Thrust
- Mega Man- Dr. Light
- King Arthur and the Knights of Justice - Merlin
- Jim Byrnes Biography and Filmography; www.filmreference.com.
- See Juno Award for Blues Album of the Year.
- CD re-release 1998, Stony Plain Records, coupled with I Turned My Nights Into Days.
- CD re-release, 1998, Stony Plain Records, coupled with Burning.
- 1996 Juno Award for Blues Album of the Year.
- Re-released 1997 on Band Together label, with the tracks in a different order.
- Limited pre-release; no general release.
- Contains six of the nine songs found on Love Is A Gamble; see Jim Byrnes detailed discography; www.jimbyrnes.org.
- 2007 Juno Award for Blues Album of the Year.
- 2010 Juno Award for Blues Album of the Year.
- A compilation album of live performances from the Saturday Night Blues radio program on CBC Radio, hosted by Holger Petersen. Byrnes' "Blood In My Eyes" (also known as "I've Got Blood In My Eyes For You" and originally recorded on Fresh Horses) is included.
- Jim Byrnes Website
- Jim Byrnes at the Internet Movie Database
- The Jim Byrnes Show at the Internet Movie Database
- Jim Byrnes at AllMovie
|This article about an actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on an individual musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|