Montreal, June 22, 2014
|Birth name||James Ashley Corcoran|
10 February 1949 |
|Occupations||musician, radio host|
|Associated acts||Jim et Bertrand|
Jim Corcoran was born in Sherbrooke, but went to high school and obtained his B.A. in Boston, Massachusetts in the late 1960s. The former seminarian returned to his native Quebec in 1970 with the idea to continue his studies at Bishop's University in Lennoxville before becoming a Latin professor. Corcoran received his B.A. from Bishop's University in 1973 In his free time Corcoran taught himself guitar. His first language is English, but he has spent most of his musical career singing in French.
In 1972, he formed the duo Jim et Bertrand with Bertrand Gosselin and they began performing in the Eastern Townships. During the 1970s, the group was associated with Quebec folk music. Corcoran began a solo career in francophone music after the group disbanded in 1979.
Since 1988, Corcoran has hosted the CBC Radio program À Propos, an hour-long program presenting the francophone popular music scene of Quebec, Canada and the world to the English network's audience. During the show, Corcoran provides English translations of some of Quebec's most popular songs. À Propos remains on the CBC Radio One schedule as of 2013[update].
He wrote music for Cirque du Soleil's productions KÀ, Quidam and Wintuk. "Let Me Fall", a song Corcoran co-wrote with Benoît Jutras for Quidam, was recorded by Josh Groban for his self-titled album. Corcoran also portrayed the part of David in performances of the opera Nelligan in 1990.
Awards and recognition
- 1981: Félix Award: Best folk record, Têtu
- 1984: Spa Festival, Belgium: Best francophone song, "J'ai fait mon chemin seul"
- 1987: Prix CIEL-Raymond Lévesque
- 1990: Félix Award: Best singer-songwriter, Corcoran
- 2006: Juno Award: Francophone Album of the Year, Pages blanches
- 1981: Têtu
- 1983: Plaisirs
- 1986: Miss Kalabash
- 1990: Corcoran
- 1994: Zola à vélo
- 1996: Portraits
- 2000: Entre tout et moi
- 2005: Pages blanches
- 1986: Djeddhy Duvah (En chair et en os)
- 1986: Perdus dans le même décor
- 1990: C'est pour ça que je t'aime
- 1990: Ton amour est trop lourd
- 1990: Je me tutoie
- 1990: La Nostalgie
- 1990: Le Boogie
- 1994: L'Amour n'est pas éternel
- 2001: On s'est presque touché
- 2001: J'vais changer le monde
- 2002: Mme Poupart
- 2005: Éloge du doute
- 2007: Docteur Gamache