|Dutchess County Comptroller|
January 1, 2010 – Present
|Preceded by||Diane Jablonski|
September 19, 1967
Dighton, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sharon Dixon Coughlan|
|Alma mater||Providence College|
James “Jim” Coughlan (born September 19, 1967) is a Republican politician and the current comptroller for Dutchess County, New York. After defeating incumbent Diane Jablonski, Coughlan took office in January 1st 2010 as the chief accounting and auditing officer of Dutchess County. He has described himself as "very conservative," and sent a controversial tweet in 2014 that was accused of being racist.
Early life and career
Coughlan was born and raised in town of N. Dighton, Massachusetts. After graduating from Providence College, Coughlan worked in the private sector for 15 years managing projects and keeping track of budget concerns. He is a graduate of Roger Williams University Law School and member of the Massachusetts and New York State bar associations.
In November 2009, Coughlan defeated Democratic incumbent Comptroller Diane Jablonski, 26,233 to 25,616. As the county’s chief financial officer and Chairman of the Audit Committee, he is responsible for managing the $425 Million annual budget for the County.
Coughlan conducted 50 investigations in his first term, examining the finances of county departments and other entities receiving county funding. During his first term, Coughlan advocated for reforms to New York State fiscal policies and expressed opposition for the MTA payroll tax and unfunded mandates.
In May 2013, Coughlan announced he would seek a second term as Dutchess County Comptroller. He ran unopposed in the general election on November 5th 2013, easily winning re-election with 33,410 total votes. On December 12, 2013, Coughlan announced his candidacy for New York state's 41st Senate District.
- "Official Website of Dutchness County Government, New York". Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Dutchess comptroller blasts MTA tax court ruling". 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-09-05. (subscription required)
- "New comptroller, sitting judge take oaths in Dutchess County". 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Jim Coughlan Biography". Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Dutchess comptroller loses her job to Republican". 2009-11-04. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "NTS Election Night Reporting System - Party Breakdown Race results". Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Dutchess fund balance to grow by more than $9M". 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "GOP hopefuls gear up for Putnam state Senate race". 2013-08-06. Retrieved 2013-09-05. (subscription required)
- "State, Local Officials Call for Unfunded Mandate Relief". 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Dutchess County Comptroller Coughlan to Run Unopposed". 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "News Dutchess County Comptroller James Coughlan running for re-election". 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-09-05.