Jim Jefferies (comedian)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
Jeffries in 2012
14 February 1977 |
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Genres||Insult comedy, Black comedy, Blue comedy, Observational comedy|
|Subject(s)||Alcoholism, Recreational drug use, Religion, Sex, Celebrities|
|Notable works and roles||Legit, Edinburgh Comedy Festival, Montreal Comedy Festival, Jim and Eddie Talkin Shit (podcast)|
He first achieved international popularity after he was attacked onstage while performing at the Manchester Comedy Store. At one time, Jefferies incorporated the incident, including its video recording, into his act: this can be seen on his 2008 DVD Contraband. He became well known in the US after his popular debut stand-up special on HBO.
Jefferies has performed at numerous festivals, including the Edinburgh Fringe, Montreal Comedy Festival (Just for Laughs), South African Comedy Festival Cape Town, Reading and Leeds Festivals and the Glastonbury Festival. He has appeared on British comedy panel shows such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Have I Got News for You, The Heaven and Earth Show and 8 Out of 10 Cats and the U.S. comedy panel show The Green Room with Paul Provenza. Jefferies has also performed spots on The World Stands Up, Comedy Blue and Edinburgh and Beyond for Comedy Central.
Jefferies ran a podcast, Jim and Eddie Talkin' Shit, twice a week with his fellow comedian and friend Eddie Ifft. It was recorded from Ifft's home in Los Angeles. In December 2012, Jefferies left the podcast due to his work schedule filming his television series, Legit.
Jefferies's comedy series Legit premiered on 17 January 2013 on FX. A second season premiered on 26 February 2014, having been moved to FXX. The series has received positive attention for its portrayal of people with mental and physical handicaps. On 14 May 2014, it was announced that Legit was cancelled and would not return for a third season. 
In February 2014 he starred in a low budget Australian feature film called Me and My Mates vs the Zombie Apocalypse with Australian comedians Greg Fleet and Alex Williamson, set for release in 2015. 
Stand-up comedy DVDs
- Contraband – (5000 limited editions) Released: 10 November 2008 (UK Home Video)
- I Swear to God – Broadcast: 16 May 2009; Released: 13 October 2009 (US Home Video)
- Alcoholocaust – Released: 8 November 2010 (Comedy Central UK DVD)
- Fully Functional - Release: October 2012
- Bare - Release: 29 August 2014 (Netflix)
Jefferies is in a relationship with actress Kate Luyben. Their son Hank was born on 6 November 2012, with Jefferies releasing a photograph on his Facebook page.
- Chortle profile
- College Times interview
- Comic attacked on stage : News 2007 : Chortle : The UK Comedy Guide. Chortle (2007-04-16). Retrieved on 2012-04-05.
- Jim Jefferies: I Swear to God: Home. HBO. Retrieved on 2012-04-05.
- BBC Radio 5 live – Fighting Talk. BBC.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-04-05.
- Jim Jefferies & Eddie Ifft Talk Shit Podcast. Jimandeddietalkshit.com. Retrieved on 2012-04-05.
- Legit on FXX
- Couch, Aaron. "How FX's 'Legit' Became the Darling of the Disabled Community". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Pedersen, Erik (14 May 2014). "FXX's 'Legit' & FX's 'Chozen' Cancelled". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Legit - Jim Jefferies & girlfriend Kate Luyben. YouTube. Retrieved on 2013-05-15.
- Kevin Pollack Chat Show: Jim Jefferies. YouTube. Retrieved on 2014-11-18.