|66 – Jim Joyce|
|Joyce in 2011.|
October 3, 1955 |
|May 23, 1987|
|Derryl Cousins (crew chief)|
|Career highlights and awards|
James Alfred "Jim" Joyce III (born October 3, 1955) is a Major League Baseball umpire who has worked in the American League (AL) from 1987 to 1999 and throughout both major leagues since 2000. He wears uniform number 66 (he wore uniform number 6 while in the American League). His strike call is extremely loud and enthusiastic, similar to that of now-retired umpire Bruce Froemming. He became infamous for Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game in 2010. Prior to this, an ESPN The Magazine poll of MLB players called Joyce the best umpire in the game. In 2012, Joyce was promoted to interim crew chief replacing injured umpire John Hirschbeck. His crew consisted of Jim Reynolds, Mike DiMuro, and James Hoye. Joyce was promoted to regular crew chief prior to the 2013 season.
Early life 
Joyce was born in Toledo, Ohio. He grew up in Toledo where he graduated from Central Catholic High School in 1973. He grew up a die-hard New York Yankees fan, despite the Detroit Tigers being less than one hour away and the Cleveland Indians being less than two hours away. He then attended Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio, where he played baseball. In 1977, he graduated from Bowling Green with bachelor of science degree in education.
After graduating from Bowling Green State University in 1977, he umpired in the Midwest League (1978–1979), the Florida Instructional League (1978), the Texas League (1980), the Pacific Coast League (1981–1986, 1988), the International League (1987), and the Dominican League (1983). In 1989, Joyce was promoted from the Pacific Coast League to the American League upon the death of MLB umpire Nick Bremigan.
Joyce has umpired in the All-Star Game (1994, 2001, 2012), the Division Series (1995, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2012), the League Championship Series (1997, 2004, 2006), and the World Series (1999 and 2001). ESPN The Magazine released an anonymous poll of 100 current MLB players that voted Joyce the best overall umpire in baseball. For the 2012 season, Joyce served as an interim crew chief due to the absence of the injured John Hirschbeck.
Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game 
On June 2, 2010, Joyce made an incorrect call, as the first base umpire, which cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game. Joyce tearfully spoke with the media following the game and admitted he made a mistake: "I just cost the kid a perfect game". Joyce and Galarraga received praise throughout the sports world for the manner in which they handled the situation; reflecting an earlier ESPN poll, players such as Mariano Rivera spoke on the record about Joyce's superb career of umpiring.
In 2011, Joyce, Galarraga, and author Daniel Paisner collaborated on a book based on the game, Nobody's Perfect: Two Men, One Call, and a Game for Baseball History. Due to the book's release, MLB has not allowed Joyce to work any games in which Galarraga would be playing to avoid any appearance of impropriety due to their business relationship.
Coincidentally, Joyce had been on the crew for Dallas Braden's perfect game less than a month earlier. Not only was Joyce the first-base umpire for Galarraga's game, he was also the first-base umpire for the no-hitter pitched by Carlos Zambrano on September 14, 2008.
Other notable games 
In September 1996, Joyce restrained fellow umpire John Hirschbeck when Hirschbeck angrily charged into the Toronto clubhouse to confront Roberto Alomar. The day before the confrontation, Alomar made comments about how Hirschbeck's attitude changed following the death of his son.
Honors and awards 
In 2009, Joyce was inducted into the Irish American Baseball Hall of Fame.
See also 
- "3 MLB Umps Hired, 3 Retired, 3 New Crew Chiefs". Close Call Sports. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Jim Joyce – 66". Umpires: Roster. MLB.com. Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- "Umpire Moves Up". The Vindicator. April 12, 1989. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- "Source: 2012 MLB Umpire Crews". Close Call Sports. April 4, 2012.
- Miller, Scott. Umpire Jim Joyce makes the best call of the year -- before the game. CBSSports.com. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- Nelson, Amy (June 1, 2011). "MLB will not let Jim Joyce umpire Armando Gallaraga's games". espn.com. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Braden's perfect game 19th ever and second straight against Rays ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- Zambrano masters Astros en route to first no-hitter for Cubs in 36 years ESPN.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012
- "Alomar Aftermath Continues". Lawrence Journal-World. September 29, 1996. Retrieved January 14, 2013.
- Alger, Tyson (June 3, 2010). "Jim Joyce's response to mistake earns him praise". The Oregonian. Retrieved 4 June 2010.