Mahfood at the New York Comic Con in Manhattan, October 9, 2010.
March 29, 1975 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker, Letterer|
Apart from his creator-owned comic book series Grrl Scouts and his comic strip Stupid Comics (which appears weekly in the Phoenix New Times) he also did work for Marvel Comics on various Spider-Man titles, including Ultimate Marvel Team-Up and Spectacular Spider-Man.
His big break came when Oni Press hired him to illustrate two comic books based on Kevin Smith's movie Clerks from scripts by Smith, following his work on Marvel Comics Generation X Underground Special.
At the age of 18 Mahfood attended the Kansas City Art Institute, where he met Mike Huddleston and formed 40 Oz Comics.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1997 and went on to produce many comics with his own unique style, heavily influenced by graffiti and underground hip hop culture. He frequently features his characters wearing t-shirts promoting local or underground hip hop, funk, jazz or punk bands. Mahfood himself is heavily involved in his local music scene, often doing live mural art during hip hop and DJ events. Mahfood also contributed to the anthology Side B: The Music Lover's Comic Anthology by Poseur Ink. In his contribution, he talks about his appreciation for experimental musician Gary Wilson.
- Clerks (written by Kevin Smith)
- Clerks Holiday Special (written by Kevin Smith)
- Grrl Scouts
- Grrl Scouts: Work Sucks
- 40 Oz Collected
- Classic 40 oz: Tales from the brown bag
- Bad Ideas (collaboration with Wayne Chinsang and Dave Crosland)
- Putting the Backbone Back
- Felt: True tales of underground hip hop
- The Further Adventures of One Page Filler Man
- Carl, The Cat That Makes Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- Mixtape Art Book (3 Volumes)
- Jennifer's Body (graphic novel)
- Side B: The Music Lover's Graphic Novel (anthology contribution, published by Poseur Ink in 2009)
- Everybody Loves Tank Girl (2012)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jim Mahfood.|
- Official website
- Jim Mahfood at the Comic Book DB
- MothComiX: The Official WebSite For Original Art by Jim Mahfood
- Jim Mahfood featured in "Shades of Ray" at WWA gallery