Jim Phelan Award
|Jim Phelan Award|
|Awarded for||the nation's top men's head coach in NCAA Division I basketball|
|Currently held by||Bob Huggins, West Virginia|
The Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award (formerly called the CollegeInsider.com National Coach of the Year Award from 2003 to 2009) is an award given annually to the most outstanding men's college basketball head coach in NCAA Division I (non-mid-major conference) competition. The award was established in 2003 and was renamed for legendary head coach Jim Phelan, who coached at Mount St. Mary's. Phelan spent his entire 49-year coaching career at MSMU, compiling 830 wins in 1,354 games. He was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008.
|*||Awarded the Naismith College Coach of the Year the same season|
|Coach (X)||Denotes the number of times the coach has been awarded the Jim Phelan Award|
|2002–03||Slonaker, MarkMark Slonaker||Mercer||23–6|||
|2003–04||Martelli, PhilPhil Martelli*||Saint Joseph's||30–2|||
|2004–05||Smith, TubbyTubby Smith||Kentucky||28–6|||
|2005–06||Howland, BenBen Howland||UCLA||32–7|||
|2006–07||Bennett, TonyTony Bennett*||Washington State||26–8|||
|2007–08||Ryan, BoBo Ryan||Wisconsin||31–5|||
|2008–09||Calipari, JohnJohn Calipari||Memphis||33–4|||
|2009–10||Dixon, JamieJamie Dixon||Pittsburgh||25–9|||
|2010–11||Morrill, StewStew Morrill||Utah State||30–4|||
|2011–12||Brey, MikeMike Brey||Notre Dame||22–12|||
|2012–13||Altman, DanaDana Altman||Oregon||28–9|||
|2013–14||Miles, TimTim Miles||Nebraska||19–13|||
|2014–15||Huggins, BobBob Huggins||West Virginia||25–10|||
Winners by school
- "Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award recipients". JimPhelanAward.com. 2008. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award". CollegeInsider.com. 2010. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "About Jim Phelan". JimPhelanAward.com. 2010. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Mercer's Slonaker Named Phelan Award Winner". JimPhelanAward.com. 1 April 2003. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "National Coach of the Year Phil Martelli". HawkHoopClub.com. 2004. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "JU Basketball Coach Named Finalist for Two Awards" (Press release). Atlantic Sun Conference. 21 February 2007. Retrieved 9 April 2010. "Previous winners of the Phelan Award are Howland (2006), Tubby Smith (Kentucky, 2005), Phil Martelli (St. Joseph's, 2004) and Mark Slonaker (Mercer, 2003)."
- "Jamie Dixon Named Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year" (Press release). University of Pittsburgh. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Utah State's Stew Morrill Named Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year". Utah State University. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Mike Brey Named Jim Phelan National Coach Of The Year". University of Notre Dame. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Dana Altman Wins National Coach of the Year Award". University of Oregon. 7 April 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Tim Miles named 2014 Jim Phelan Award winner". Omaha.com. 5 April 2014. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Huggins Named National Coach of the Year". wvusports.com. 3 April 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.