Michael Jim Salinger is an Auckland-based climate change scientist who formerly worked for the Crown Research Institute National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA).
He was a lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"
On Thursday 23 April 2009, Salinger was dismissed by NIWA, ostensibly for breaching NIWA's media policy. Salinger had represented NIWA to the public and media for many years and the dismissal caused a 'wide public outcry' according to Television New Zealand. The Institute of Agricultural and Horticultural Science described the incident as a 'national embarrassment'.
In late May 2009, Salinger stated that mediation with NIWA over the dismissal had failed and that he would be lodging a claim with the Employment Relations Authority.  On 19 October 2009, the Employment Relations Authority in Auckland began a hearing into Salinger's dismissal; during the hearing it emerged the Salinger has suffered from depression. In December 2009, the Employment Relations Authority upheld Salinger's dismissal.
- Jim Salinger NZ SD Practitioners Directory, Sustainable Aotearoa New Zealand Incorporated website, retrieved 09-09-09.
- Face of NIWA sacked for talking to media, TV One News, April 2004 2009.
- "The Nobel Peace Prize 2007". Nobel Foundation. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- New Zealander heads world commission for agricultural meteorology, Water & Atmosphere (NIWA) Vol.14 No.4 - December 2006, retrieved 7 May 2009.
- Face of NIWA sacked for talking to media, Tsehai Tiffin, ONE News, Published: 6:59PM Friday 24 April 2009, retrieved 2:26 a.m. Sunday, 3 May 2009. At WebCite.
- Niwa sacks Jim Salinger, Stuff.co.nz, 24/04/2009, retrieved 2/5/09. At WebCite.
- NZPA, Salinger seeks NIWA compensation, Television New Zealand Ltd News, 2009-10-19, retrieved 2009-10-19. At WebCite.
- NZPA, Salinger's sacking 'a national embarrassment', Television New Zealand Ltd News, 2009-05-06, retrieved 2009-10-19. At WebCite.
- Public hearing for Salinger case, The Dominion Post (Fairfax/Stuff.co.nz), 2009-05-22, retrieved 2009-10-10. Archived at WebCite
- Salinger says he never saw NIWA media policy, Radio New Zealand News, 2009-10-19, retrieved 2009-10-19. At WebCite.
- NZPA (2009-10-19). "Salinger call to Hickey 'personal'". www.stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- Tahana, Yvonne (2009-12-09). "Dismissal of climate man upheld". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 2010-01-13.