Jim Weiss Photo
|Born||James Alan Weiss
November 24, 1948
Highland Park, Illinois
Jim Weiss (James Alan Weiss) was born in Highland Park, Illinois on 24 November 1948. He has been a professional storyteller for over 25 years. In June 1989, Jim decided to do something more with the craft that he had formerly practiced solely for pleasure. He and his wife, Randy Weiss, formed a production company, Greathall Productions, and have thus far produced forty seven (47) storytelling recordings with enticing titles from classical literature, such as Greek myths, King Arthur and Sherlock Holmes. Jim's Greathall line is the recipient of more than 100 major national awards from The American Library Association, Parents' Choice Foundation, NAPPA, the Parents' Council, The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, The Film Advisory Board, Parents' Guide to Children's Media Award and more. Weiss' newest releases are "Julius Caesar and the Story of Rome" and "Carry On, Mr. Bowditch." June, 2009 marked the 20th Anniversary of Greathall Productions.
Jim travels extensively throughout The United States, giving live performances at stores, libraries, schools and community events. He has hosted and starred in a PBS television pilot that won a Northern California Emmy for "Best Children's Show," and has even performed at THE WHITE HOUSE Annual Easter Event.
As a storyteller, Jim's performances have been described as exciting and enchanting. His connection to his audience is magnetic and interactive, proof positive that storytelling today rejuvenates one of the first and most personal forms of entertainment. Adults and children alike leave the performance feeling that they have really met characters from a wide range of classic literature and folk tales. Jim's presentations garner heightened respect for the art of storytelling and the literature itself.
Awards & Honors
Jim Weiss and Greathall Productions is the proud recipient of the following awards:
Parents' Guide to Children Media Award, Parents' Choice Foundation Gold and Silver Awards, Film Advisory Board Award, Oppenhiem Best Audio Award, The American Library Association Notable, Children's Recording Award, Storytelling World Award, Booklist Editor's Choice Award, Pegasus Award, AudioFile Earphones Award, The Old Schoolhouse Award, Practical Homeschool Readers Award, Children's Music Web Award, Creative Child Magazine Preferred Choice and Seal of Excellence Award(s), INDIE Award, NAPPA Silver and Gold Award(s)
1. Greathall Productions Website: http://www.greathall.com 2. Interview with Jim Weiss by Vimeo: http://vimeopro.com/user13058727/greathall/video/48033909 3. Interview with Jim Weiss by The Homeschool Channel: http://www.thehomeschoolchannel.tv/video/hssl-weiss-memphis-2011-ok 4. Audiofile Magazine Profile of Jim Weiss: http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/gvpages/A1407.shtml 5. Interview with Jim Weiss on Parenthood.com: http://www.parenthood.com/article-topics/why_reading_to_your_kids_works_an_interview_with_celebrated_storyteller_jim_weiss.html
- Greathall Productions- Storytelling Recordings and Performances by Jim Weiss, Jim Weiss' official website
-  Jim Weiss' Official Facebook Page
-  Interview with Jim Weiss by Carschooling
-  Jim Weiss interviewed on Real Life with Jennifer Till (25 December 2010)