Jim Wilson (producer)
In 1990, Jim Wilson produced Dances with Wolves. It was adapted by Michael Blake, based on his novel. It was the highest grossing Western film of all time, $424.2 million world-wide, and won 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Score, and Best Film Editing.
Following the success of Dances with Wolves, Wilson produced another hit, The Bodyguard in 1992, starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston. Released by Warner Bros. the film grossed $410.9 million world-wide. The soundtrack is the best selling soundtrack in film history selling over 44 million copies world-wide. It won the Grammy for Album of the Year.
In addition to producing studio fare, Wilson has directed numerous features including Stacy's Knights starring Kevin Costner, Head Above Water with Cameron Diaz and Harvey Keitel, Whirlygirl with Monet Mazur and a feature length documentary Laffit - All About Winning.
He has just finished 50 to 1, about a misfit group of New Mexico cowboys who find themselves on the journey of a lifetime when they learn their crooked-footed racehorse qualifies to run in the Kentucky Derby. Based on the true story of Mine That Bird, the cowboys must overcome impossible odds even before they reach Churchill Downs and the land of Kentucky's blue bloods.
- Smart Alec (1986) (producer/director/writer)
- Dances with Wolves (1990) (producer)
- The Bodyguard (1992) (producer)
- Rapa Nui (1994) (producer)
- Head Above Water (1996) (producer/director)
- The Postman (1997) (producer)
- Message in a Bottle (1999) (producer)
- Laffit: All About Winning (2006) (producer/director)
- Whirlygirl (2006) (producer/director)
- Mr. Brooks (2007) (producer)
- Swing Vote (2008) (producer)