Jimmie V. Reyna
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit|
April 5, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Haldane Mayer|
November 11, 1952 |
Tucumcari, New Mexico, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Rochester
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
Jimmie V. Reyna (born November 11, 1952) is an American lawyer and former president of the Hispanic National Bar Association and is currently a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Reyna was formerly a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm of Williams Mullen, PC. The Senate confirmed his nomination on April 4, 2011 by a vote of 86 ayes to 0 nays and he received his commission on April 5, 2011.
Early life and education
Reyna was born on November 11, 1952, in Tucumcari, New Mexico to Julian Calano Reyna and Consuelo Valdenebro Reyna, who were Baptist missionaries. Reyna grew up in Clovis, New Mexico and graduated as valedictorian of his high school class. Reyna received a B.A. from the University of Rochester in 1975 and a J.D. from the University of New Mexico School of Law in 1978.
After completing law school, Reyna stayed in New Mexico to work as an associate for the law firm of Shaffer, Butt, Thornton & Baer. From 1981 to 1986, Reyna had a solo practice in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In 1986, he started as an associate in Washington, D.C. with the law firm of Stewart & Stewart, where he specialized in trade policy and international trade regulation. Reyna became a partner at Stewart & Stewart in 1993 and joined Williams Mullen as a partner in 1998.
Reyna married his wife, Dolores Ramirez, during his freshman year at the University of Rochester. They left New Mexico for Rockville, Maryland in 1986 in search of specialized care facilities for their autistic son.
- President Obama Names Two to U.S. Circuit Courts, White House press release (September 29, 2010).
- Senate Roll Call
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- Jimmie V. Reyna - Lawyer Profile Martindale.
- Jimmie V. Reyna Receives Highest Recognition from the Government of Mexico, Williams Mullen Press Release (September 8, 2009).
- Alan Cooper, DC's Reyna to lead national Hispanic bar, Virginia Lawyers Weekly (September 25, 2006).
- Alumni News, Profiles: Jimmie Reyna Prospers in International Trade Career UNM Law (Spring 2002).
- Jimmie V. Reyna at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit