|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2008)|
|Birth name||Jimmy Hotz|
October 12, 1953 |
|Genres||Electronic music, synthpop, funk, soul, rock, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Music producer, musician, Recording engineer,|
Hotz began playing guitar at the age of seven.
He plays a number of instruments such as the guitar, keyboards, flute, drums and his own inventions such as the "Hotz Box" and the "Hotz MIDI Translator". Hotz has done a number of recordings where all of the instruments were played by him using only the Hotz Box as an input device.
You Rock Guitar recently featured a video of Jimmy playing the MIDI guitar with the Hotz Midi Translator.
In 2011 he released his debut novel, The Gates of Time.
He is noted for his pioneering work with electronic music synthesizer midi controller development  / programming and as a technical consultant to Microsoft, Intel, Electronic Arts, Atari, JBL and other concerns for new product development.
He is the inventor of the "Hotz Box", Hotz "MIDI vest" and the "Atari Hotz Box", "Hotz MIDI Translator", computer software which has won interest and acclaim at the annual NAMM show. Performers such as Mick Fleetwood, Jon Anderson, Paul Haslinger, Scott Gershin and others have been using Hotz products in their creative work.
In the music business he has worked with Fleetwood Mac, Mick Fleetwood Dave Mason, Nsync, Mobius 8  BB King, Yes, Jon Anderson, Haven and dozens of other recording artists as either a producer, engineer, mixer, studio musician, or musical instrument designer.
As an expert in 3D computer graphics, Hotz was the chief visionary behind the 3dMAxMedia "Zuma Project", assembling the team which developed the technology to manipulate 3D imagery in real-time with audio, MIDI and other real-time control devices).
"Zuma" won a 2001 Innovation award from Computer Graphics World Magazine and was used on the 2001 NSYNC tour.
He recorded a solo album, Beyond the Crystal Sea, in the late 70s considered an early example of "Art Rock" by critics and collectors. His current music project, The Gates of Time, is his first solo recording in which his inventions are the primary instruments.
- "THE HOTZ MIDI TRANSLATOR, Atari Team Redefines Electronic Instruments".
- "JIMMY HOTZ'S MIDI MAGIC".
- "Music Creation using the Hotz Translator - Mick Fleetwood".
- "You Rock Guitar and The Hotz MIDI Translator".
- "The Gates Of Time - Book".
- THE HOTZ MIDI TRANSLATOR
- JIMMY HOTZ'S MIDI MAGIC
- "Patent for MIDI musical translator".
- "Electronic musical instrument for playing along with prerecorded music".
- "Patent: Electronic musical instrument dynamically responding to varying chord and ..".
- "Moving To The Beat". Retrieved 2001.
- "Moving To The Beat".
- "Yes / 1994 Talk Tour - 04 I am Waiting". Retrieved 1994.
- "Haven - Celebrate". Retrieved 2010.
- Moving to the Beat
- "Computer Graphics World's 2001 Innovation Awards".
- Raised by Wolves: The Story of Christian Rock & Roll p.140 (Thompson 2000)