Jimmy Mann (ice hockey)
April 17, 1959 |
Montreal, QC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Played for||Winnipeg Jets
|NHL Draft||19th overall, 1979
James Edward Mann (born April 17, 1959 in Montreal, Quebec) is a Canadian retired professional ice hockey player who played 293 games in the National Hockey League. He played for the Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and the Pittsburgh Penguins. He makes regular appearances with a program for charity, called Oldtimers Hockey Challenge.
Mann was selected by the Winnipeg Jets in the first round of the 1979 NHL Entry Draft, this pick was the first pick in franchise history. Mann made a reputation for himself as a brawler collecting 287 penalty minutes during his first NHL season. Mann was suspended three games and fined $500 for shoving a linesman, Gord Broseker, while trying to resume a fight with defenseman John Gibson in a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on December 9, 1981. During a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on January 13, 1982 Penguins center Paul Gardner cross-checked Jets winger Doug Smail in the face resulting in an injury. Before the next faceoff, Mann attacked Gardner from behind with two punches that broke Gardner's jaw. Mann eventually received a ten-game suspension and a criminal record with a $500 fine before the courts of Manitoba. Mann missed the entire 1986–87 season recovering from abdominal injury originally suffered in December 1984.
- February 6, 1984 – Traded to the Quebec Nordiques by the Winnipeg Jets for Quebec's 5th round choice (Brent Severyn) in 1984 NHL Entry Draft.
- June 16, 1987 – Signed as a free agent by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- "N.H.L. SUSPENDS JETS' MANN - NYTimes.com". NYTimes.com. December 19, 1981.
- "Mann Given $500 Fine For Hockey Assault - NYTimes.com". NYTimes.com. May 19, 1982.
- Jimmy Mann's player profile at NHL.com
- Jimmy Mann's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Jimmy Mann's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Jimmy Mann's biography at Legends of Hockey
- Jimmy Mann at Hockey-Reference.com
- Jimmy Mann profile at Eurohockey.com
|Winnipeg Jets first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey winger born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|