|Kansas City Royals – No. 64|
|Infielder / Outfielder|
November 25, 1988 |
Bajos de Haina, Dominican Republic
|Bats: Switch||Throws: Right|
|August 1, 2011 for the Houston Astros|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||31|
Jimmy Santiago Paredes Terrero (born November 25, 1988) is a Dominican professional baseball infielder for the Kansas City Royals. He played in MLB for the Houston Astros from the 2011 through 2013 seasons.
Minor league career
Paredes was signed as an amateur free agent with the New York Yankees. He made his professional debut in 2007 with the Dominican Summer Yankees 1. He came to America for the 2008 season and played with the Gulf Coast League Yankees. He played 2009 with the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York–Penn League, where he was an All-Star, batting .302 with 23 steals in 54 games. He started 2010 with the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League (SAL). At the July 30 trade deadline, the Yankees traded Paredes with Mark Melancon to the Houston Astros for Lance Berkman.
The Astros assigned Paredes to the Lexington Legends of the SAL. After the season, the Astros added Paredes to their 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. He signed a one-year, $414,000 deal before the season started. He started the 2011 season with the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League, where he was an All-Star, splitting time at second and third base, batting .271 with 29 steals and 41 runs batted in.
Major league career
On August 1, 2011, the Astros promoted Paredes to the major leagues to play third base, replacing the struggling Chris Johnson. In his first major league at bat, Paredes hit a two-run triple, becoming the first player in franchise history to triple in his first major league plate appearance.
After the 2013, the Astros removed Paredes from their 40-man roster, placing him on waivers. He was claimed by the Miami Marlins. He was designated for assignment on February 7, 2014. On February 15 he was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles. On February 17, he was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals.
- "Astros on verge of dealing Berkman to Yanks". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Astros add three pitchers, infielder to 40-man roster - Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. November 19, 2010. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Jimmy Paredes Baseball Statistics (2008-2013)". Thebaseballcube.com. November 25, 1988. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Jimmy Paredes Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. November 25, 1988. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Levine, Zachary (August 1, 2011). "Demotions of Wallace, Johnson demonstrate peril of Astros' youth movement". MySanAntonio. Retrieved August 1, 2011.
- Rieken, Kristie (August 1, 2011). "MLB Capsules - NL: Altuve lifts Astros to win over Reds in 10". Associated Press. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Juan C. Rodriguez (November 4, 2013). "Miami Marlins claim Astros infielder Jimmy Paredes off waivers". Sun Sentinel. Articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)