Jinx (DC Comics)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2007)|
|First appearance||Tales of the Teen Titans #56 (August 1985)|
|Created by||Marv Wolfman
|Team affiliations||Injustice League
Secret Society of Super Villains
Jinx is a fictional character, a supervillainess appearing in the DC Comics universe. She first appeared in Tales of the Teen Titans #56 (August 1985), and was created by Marv Wolfman and Chuck Patton.
She joined the supervillain group, the Fearsome Five, a frequent enemy of the Teen Titans, Superman and the Outsiders. She has also been a member of Villainy Inc. To date, her real name has not been revealed.
Fictional character biography
Jinx is an Indian elemental sorceress whose powers include the ability to command elements such as air, the manipulation of magical energy that she can manifest as offensive force bolts and green flame, the ability to dissolve matter, and create ground tremors. Jinx is not bald but slender. She traditionally wears only a white two-piece loincloth bikini with golden jewelry, and she is always barefoot.
She first encountered the Fearsome Five when that group attacked a research facility belonging to S.T.A.R. Labs where Jinx and another criminal, Neutron were being incarcerated. The Five are defeated by the Teen Titans, but Jinx and Neutron decided to join the Fearsome Five. Jinx remained with the group even after Neutron subsequently left it, but after their next appearance in Adventures of Superman #430 (July 1987), in which they fought Superman alongside new members Deuce and Charger, the group disbanded, and Jinx was incarcerated in the metahuman prison on Alcatraz, along with her teammates Mammoth and Gizmo.
Jinx was part of Circe's army of female supervillains that was defeated by Wonder Woman and Earth's superheroines. Shortly thereafter, Jinx was recruited by Queen Clea into the re-formed all-female crime organization Villainy Inc. Together with Cyborgirl, Doctor Poison, Giganta, and Trinity, Jinx assists Clea in conquering the other-dimensional land of Skartaris. The plan, however, is commandeered by Trinity. The team has not appeared since.
Later, in a storyline in Outsiders #12–15 (July–October 2004), frequent Captain Marvel archenemy Dr. Sivana freed Jinx, Mammoth and Gizmo from Alcatraz. Having summoned teammate Psimon and having brought her teammate Shimmer back to life after she had been turned into glass and shattered, Sivana put the team to work for him in a scheme to short sell Lexcorp stock by having them steal its accounts from its corporate building in Metropolis, and then driving down the stock by killing all the people in the building. Sivana also had them destroy two other Lexcorp properties. At the latter of the two, a microchip processor factory of Lexcorp's subsidiary, Kellacor, the Five were confronted by the Outsiders. After escaping, the criminally unsophisticated Five urged Sivana to take Lexcorp's nuclear missile facility near Joshua Tree, California. When Sivana refused, Psimon asserted that they would take it anyway, and in response, Sivana killed Gizmo with a laser blast to the head, and severed relations with the remaining four, warning them that he would kill them if they ever crossed his path again. The Five decided to enact their plan to take the facility and fire a nuclear missile at Canada, but were defeated by the Outsiders. Mammoth was returned to Alcatraz Island, but Jinx and the other members of the Five remain at large.
Most recently, she as seen among the new Injustice League, and is one of the villains featured in Salvation Run. She is one of the villains sent to retrieve the Get Out of Hell free card from the Secret Six.
Powers and abilities
Jinx is a formidable elemental sorceress who draws her magic from the solid, natural ground. This is why she must have contact between the ground and her bare feet at all times, or else her magical effects become weakened or lost altogether. Some of her elemental abilities include, but are not limited to: generating powerful force blasts, conjuring wind bursts, summoning emerald flames, creating earth tremors, creative illusions, and even dissolving solid matter. Jinx also has precognitive abilities where she can sense danger moments before something happens. Jinx has an ability to converse with the Earth itself, to gently manipulate even greater magic stored there. Other abilities may exist but none are certain.
Other characters named Jinx
- A different kind of Jinx appeared in Adventure Comics #488 and had fought Chris King and Vicki Grant alongside Cancero and Jelly Woman. This version is male and has the power to cause bad luck.
In other media
- Jinx appears in the Teen Titans animated series voiced by Lauren Tom in every appearance but her last, for which Tara Strong provided the voice. She is a H.I.V.E. student and often hangs out with Gizmo and Mammoth. She has pale skin, pink hair, pink eyes with cat-like pupils and a witch-like attire. The animated Jinx's power is probability manipulation, very similar to early portrayals of Marvel's Scarlet Witch, for example causing structures to crumble as a means of attack. She is also very agile, capable of great feats of acrobatics. Her first appearance in the series involved her and her team ransacking the Titans' headquarters. Other episodes portray her battling the Titans and losing. However, it was revealed that Jinx had a crush on Cyborg in the episode "Deception". In the end of the episode, before the H.I.V.E Academy was destroyed, she said "You could've been one of us." Cyborg replied, "I could've been a lot of things". Jinx shook her head and steps on to the hexagon shaped platform with Brother Blood, Mammoth, and Gizmo. Eventually she meets Kid Flash and is smitten by him instead. She eventually must choose between helping Madame Rouge and the Brotherhood of Evil or Kid Flash. She decides to help Kid Flash, because of Madam Rouge's constant insults, and because of her crush on Kid Flash. Afterwards, she finds a single rose left by Kid Flash, and leaves H.I.V.E and joins the Titans with Kid Flash instead. Jinx appeared once again in the final battle, along with Kid Flash. Jinx confronts her old team and Madame Rouge, taking them out single-handedly. The epilogue has her joining the rest of the Titans as they head off to stop Doctor Light.
- Jinx appears in the Teen Titans Go! episode "Girl's Night Out". Starfire and Raven spring her from the Juvenile Correction Facility in order to do a Girl's Night Out. It is shown that one of Raven's favorite pastimes is to visit Jinx and gloat that she is in prison. Jinx uses her talents to get the girls' access to the amusement. During the bumper car ride, Starfire breaks the shackles on Jinx as they go for a crazy ride around town which leads to a police chase which landed them back into the Juvenile Correction Facility. Eventually, Starfire, Raven, and Jinx break out to continue their Girls' Night Out. Starfire, Raven, and Jinx later pass Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy while evading the police. She later appears in "Artful Dodgers" stealing an artifact from a museum with the rest of the H.I.V.E. F.I.V.E. As always, the Titans come to save the day but they reveal they have rigged the museum to blow along with tons of people tied to it. The Teen Titans then began aguing with the H.I.V.E. about how doing that was unfair. Jinx decides to ignore them and then tells Gizmo to cloak them which he does. But the Titans eventually find them and Starfire cracks See-More's eye so the bomb stops. Jinx and the other H.I.V.E. members are later seen joining the dodgeball league as the Hive Fivers. They beat the Titans and later began robbing a bank. When Cyborg tells her they just want to play dodgeball and how it's not about them robbing a bank, they decide to have a rematch. The H.I.V.E. beats them once again and they storm off with the money. On the finals of the dodgeball league, the Team Titans once again have to go against the Hive Fivers but this time the heroes begin to use their powers. Jinx calls them out of this and says they are cheating but Beast Boy declares they are being babies. The Hive Fivers then throw dodgeballs at all the Titans while they are distracted resulting in them winning the game- until Robin calls the police which results in the Team Titans winning by default.
- Jinx is a boss in both Teen Titans video games. She is also an unlockable character. She also appears in DC Universe Online as part of the expansion pack "Sons of Trigon".
- The animated version of Jinx makes numerous appearances in the series comic adaption Teen Titans Go!, starting in issue #1. In #26–27, hints are given of Jinx later "turning over a new leaf" (like the hints in the episode Lightspeed). She also appears in issue #34 as Kid Flash's girlfriend. She gets captured with the other heroines by Blackfire and is rescued by the Titans in issue #36. In issue #39, she is still with Kid Flash; when Larry, who is playing Cupid, strikes other women with his love arrows when Flash wouldn't allow himself to be hit, she has her hands full with keeping them from flirting with her boyfriend. Jinx also appears in issue #40, still as part of the Hive Five at that time, and issue #43, helping the Titans stop the Fearsome Five. In #53, it is revealed that Jinx' nickname is "Lucky" and that she had entertained a disappointing relationship with Kid Kold (aka Leo), before joining the H.I.V.E. In that issue she also shares her first kiss with Kid Flash.