|Country||Papua New Guinea|
|• Governor||Dr. William Tongamp 2012-|
|• Total||4,798 km2 (1,853 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||72/km2 (190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10)|
Jiwaka is a province of Papua New Guinea. The provincial capital is yet to be decided. In the mean time all provincial matters are handled in Banz. The province covers an area of 4,798 km², and there are 341,928 inhabitants (2010 census provisional figures—2000 census 185,641). Jiwaka province officially came into being on 17 May 2012, comprising three districts  previously part of Western Highlands Province. Mount Wilhelm, the tallest mountain in Papua New Guinea, is on the border of Jiwaka.
"Jiwaka" is a portmanteau word combining the first two letters each of Jimi, Wahgi and Kambia. The inclusion of the Anglimp Rural LLG in Jiwaka was controversial, and will be reviewed after the 2012 General Election.
Districts and LLGs
There are three districts in the province. Each district has one or more Local Level Government (LLG) areas. For census purposes, the LLG areas are subdivided into wards and those into census units.
|District||District Capital||LLG Name|
|Anglimp-South Wahgi District||Minj||Anglimp Rural|
|South Wahgi Rural|
|Jimi District||Tabibuga||Jimi Rural|
|North Wahgi District||Banz||North Wahgi Rural|
Members of the National Parliament
The province and each district is represented by a Member of the National Parliament. There is one provincial electorate and each district is an open electorate. The following table lists Members before and after the 2012 general election.
|Electorate||Previous member (party)||2012 winner (party)|
|Jiwaka Provincial||Tom Olga pro tem while Jiwaka was still under W.H.P||Dr. William Tongamp (New Generation Party)  Pioneer Governor of the Brand New Province.|
|Angalimp-South Wahgi Open||Jamie Maxtone-Graham (PCP)||Komun Joe Koim (Independent) |
|Jimi Open||Wake Goi (PNGP)||Mai Dop (URDP) |
|North Wahgi Open||Benjamin Mul (THE Rural Party)||Dr. Fabian Pok (URDP) |
- Mal Taime (2010-12-09). "Minj is capital of Jiwaka province". Post-Courier Online. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Western Highlands Province". The National Research Institute. March 2010. Sections for Angalimp South Wahgi, Jimi & North Wahgi Districts. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Gorethy Kenneth (2012-05-17). "Population of PNG is more than 7 million". Post-Courier Online. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "Hela, Jiwaka declared". The National (Papua New Guinea). 2012-05-17. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- John Pangkatana (2011-09-29). "Anglimp to vote under Jiwaka". Post-Courier Online. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Yvonne Haip (2012-03-16). "Leaders: Anglimp roll is flawed". The National. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Johnny Poiya (2011-09-07). "Anglimp rejects Jiwaka". Post-Courier Online. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- "Anglimp to be part of WHP". The National. 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- National Statistical Office of Papua New Guinea
- "Wingti ousted". The National. 2007-08-07. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- "Two more declared in WHP". Post Courier Online. Retrieved 2007-07-31.
- "NA's Rambi deposes PDM man Kingal". The National. Retrieved 2007-07-31.
- "Mum raped, homes burnt". Post Courier Online. Retrieved 2007-07-30.
|This Papua New Guinea-related geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|