|Developer||Kristoffer Ericson and Jlime Community|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||1.01 / November 6, 2006|
|Platforms||SH3 (Jornada 6xx)
ARM (Jornada 7xx, MobilePro 900/900c)
MIPS (Ben Nanonote, MobilePro 7xx/8xx)
|Kernel type||Monolithic kernel|
|Default user interface||Console, OPIE, IceWM|
Jornada Linux Mobility Edition (JLime for short) is a Linux distribution originally only aimed for the HP Jornada platform. It was created in Late 2003 by Kristoffer Ericson and Henk Brunstin. It's being developed using the OpenEmbedded build system.
History and name
The work on JLime began in late 2003 due to the need for a working Linux distribution on the HP 6xx Jornada platform. The idea behind JLime is a distribution that brings speed and portability to the Jornada. The Jornada had been unsupported in 2.6 kernel (due to lack of developers / test machines) and first year was focused on enabling support. 2.6.9 was the first kernel to be able to boot.
In early February 2006 the JLime site was renovated by the JLime forum user "chazco".
JLime developers "Chazco" and "B_Lizzard" created an initrd based installation tool which can install JLime onto the Jornada 6xx without the need of any Linux machine, however development of this method has halted and has not been applied to any handheld PC other than the jornada 6xx. Most PDA systems use flash memory, but the Jornada handheld computers lack this facility. Therefore, JLime is installed onto a (partitioned) compact flash card. The installer uses a text based dialog orientated interface.
JLime uses a minimalistic tool of APT called ipkg to handle packages (see package management system), it can install/remove/update through any existing internet connection or locally. Packages are downloaded from so-called feed repositories and dependencies are handled automatically.
IceWM on Jornada
JLime is a fully functioning Linux distro and currently uses IceWM window manager as a GUI 'environment'. JLime includes the following applications with IceWM: Minimo, XChat, dillo, Rox-filer, Abiword, Leafpad, Torsmo and a few other useful applications.
Here is the list of the current active developers involved in the JLiME project .
- Kristoffer Ericson (kristoffer) - kernel hp6xx/hp7xx
- Rafael Ignacio Zurita (rafa) - kernel hp6xx
- Michael Petchkovsky (cosmo0) - kernel mp900
- Alex Palestras (B_lizzard) - packages hp6xx (OE) (2006 - ......)
- Matt Oudenhoven (wicked) - packages hp7xx/mp900 (OE)
- chazco - General maintenance - webmaster (2006 - ........)
- Jan Misiak (fijam) - Documentation maintainer & Kernel Tester (2006 - Oct 2007)
JLime developed ports
|Release Name||HP Jornada Supported||port of|
|Stark||(not released yet) 720/728||
|Shark||(not released yet) 620/660/680/690||
- jLime Home page
- Introduction to JLime by the founder
- Presente y Futuro de las Handheld PC Jornada (Spanish)
- Running Linux on HP Jornada 720
- NetBSD's port to ARM-based handhelds, including Jornada 710/720/728