Jo-Ann Mapson is the author of twelve works of fiction, set mainly in the American Southwest. She was born and raised in Southern California, and now lives in Anchorage, Alaska.
Jo-Ann Mapson’s novels include series books—Hank & Chloe; Loving Chloe; Bad Girl Creek; Along Came Mary; Goodbye, Earl, as well as stand-alone novels. Their subject matter concerns women, friendship, love and child rearing and their families. An example of this is the 1996 novel, Shadow Ranch: A Novel which focuses on the women of the "Carpenter Clan" and the so-called curse which effects all members of the family over several generations. It shows the women overcoming the problems by love, dedication and a focus on the Carpenter Clan.
She attended Johnston College at the University of Redlands, graduated with a B.A. in English/Creative Writing from California State University Long Beach, and received her M.F.A. in both Poetry and Prose from Vermont College in 1992. She has taught English and Creative Writing at Orange Coast College, University of California Irvine extension, California State University Fullerton extension, Matanuska-Susitna College and now teaches in the M.F.A. Program in Writing at the University of Alaska Anchorage. She is also a graduate advisor for Prescott College’s MAP Program.
Her former writing students (now published) include: Christina Adams, Judy Alexander, Earlene Fowler, Judi Hendricks, Joyce Weatherford.
Her papers are being collected in Boston University’s Twentieth Century Authors Archive in “The Jo-Ann Mapson Collection.”
- Spooking the Horses (poems) chapbook
- Fault Line (stories) (1990) ISBN 0-944870-02-3
- Hank & Chloe (1993) ISBN 0-06-016943-5
- Blue Rodeo (1994) ISBN 0-06-016944-3
- Shadow Ranch (1996) ISBN 0-06-017216-9
- Loving Chloe (1998) ISBN 0-06-017217-7
- The Wilder Sisters (1999) ISBN 0-06-019116-3
- Bad Girl Creek (2001) ISBN 0-7432-0256-2
- Along Came Mary (2003) ISBN 0-7432-2461-2
- Goodbye, Earl (2004) ISBN 0-7432-2463-9
- The Owl & Moon Café (2006) ISBN 0-7432-6641-2
- Solomon's Oak (2010) ISBN 978-1-60819-330-1
- Finding Casey (2012) ISBN 978-1-60819-924-2
- Owen's Daughter (2014) ISBN 978-1-62040-148-4