JoAnne Yates (born 1951) is an American organizational theorist and Professor of Management at the MIT Sloan School of Management, known for her study of communication and information systems in organizations.
In the 1980 she started her academic career at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, where she started working with Professor Wanda Orlikowski. In the summers 1989, 1990, 1992 and 1995 she has been Visiting Professor at the Helsinki School of Economics. Since 1999 she is Sloan Distinguished Professor of Management at the MIT Sloan School of Management. From 2007 to 2012 she had been Deputy Dean of the Sloan School of Management.
Yates' research focuses on the use of communication and information technology in business. Her aim is to understand "how the use of communication and information technology within firms shapes and is shaped over time by its changing organizational, managerial, and technological contexts."
Yates has authored and co-authored numerous publications (some of it highly cited) in her field of expertise Books, a selection:
- 1984. Graphs as a managerial tool : a case study of Du Pont's use of graphs, 1904-1949
- 1984. Internal communication systems in American business structures : a framework to aid appraisal
- 1985. Structural effects of communication technologies on firms : lessons from the past
- 1993. Control Through Communication: The Rise of System in American Management. Johns Hopkins University Press
- 1998. Proceedings of the International Working Conference on Information and Process Integration in Enterprises. With Toshiro Wakayama, Srikanth Kannapan, Chan Meng Khoong and Sham Navathe, eds. Kluwer Press
- 2001. IT and Organizational Transformation: History, Rhetoric, and Practice. With John Van Maanen eds., Sage Publications.
- 2005. Structuring the Information Age: Life Insurance and Information Technology in the 20th Century. Johns Hopkins University Press.
Articles, a selection:
- Malone, Thomas W., Joanne Yates, and Robert I. Benjamin. "Electronic markets and electronic hierarchies." Communications of the ACM 30.6 (1987): 484-497.
- Yates, JoAnne, and Wanda J. Orlikowski. "Genres of organizational communication: A structurational approach to studying communication and media." Academy of management review 17.2 (1992): 299-326.
- Orlikowski, Wanda J., and JoAnne Yates. "Genre repertoire: The structuring of communicative practices in organizations." Administrative science quarterly (1994): 541-574.
- Orlikowski, W. J., Yates, J., Okamura, K., & Fujimoto, M. "Shaping electronic communication: the metastructuring of technology in the context of use." Organization science 6.4 (1995): 423-444.
- Pamela J. Hinds, Sara B Kiesler eds. (2002) Distributed Work. p. 463
- Kim H. Veltman (2006) Understanding New Media: Augmented Knowledge and Culture. p. 145
- JoAnne Yates's page from the Web site of MIT's Center for Coordination Science (CCS). Accessed June 26, 2013
- JoAnne Yates on Google Scholar.
- JoAnne Yates, Web site at MIT