Jo Marie Payton
|Jo Marie Payton|
|Born||Jo Marie Payton
August 3, 1950
Albany, Georgia, U.S.
|Education||North Dade Jr./ Sr. High School
Albany State University
|Occupation||Actress, Singer, Musician|
|Known for||Harriet Winslow : Family Matters (1989–97)|
|Spouse(s)||Leonard Downs (m. 2007)
Landrus Clark (m. 1998–2004)
Rodney Noble (m. 1993–98)
Marc France (m. 1980–87) (1 daughter)
Jo Marie Payton (born August 3, 1950) is an American television actress, and singer, who starred most notably as Harriette Winslow, the matriarch of the Winslow family on the ABC/CBS sitcom, Family Matters, and its parent series Perfect Strangers from 1989 until 1997. From 2001 to 2005 Jo Marie Payton provided the voice for Suga Mama Proud on Bruce W. Smith's The Proud Family, which reunited her with her former co-star Orlando Brown. The role earned her an NAACP Image Award nomination in 2005. Payton also had a recurring role as the personal assistant to Gregory Hines' character, Ben Doucette (Will Truman's boss), during season two of Will & Grace (1999–2000).
Jo Marie Payton was born on August 3, 1950, in Albany, Georgia. In later years, her family moved to Opa-locka, Florida and completed high school at North Dade Jr./ Sr. High School in Bunche Park, Florida. Miami Carol City Senior High School in Dade County, Florida. She graduated from Albany State University in Albany, Georgia  and continued to donate, host charitable events, and support her alma mater while also continuing her education and making a successful career. From 1989 to 1997, Payton won over television audiences as Harriette Winslow, a quick-witted and long-suffering wife and mother, on the situation comedy Family Matters. Her character actually originated on the sitcom Perfect Strangers in a recurring role as a sarcastic elevator operator from 1987 to 1989. Audiences liked the sharp-talking Harriette so much that the character was spun off into her own show.
Jo Marie's big break came when she was cast as the elevator operator on the ABC sitcom Perfect Strangers in 1987. Her performance was so well received by audiences that she was given her own sitcom, entitled Family Matters, in 1989. Continuing her character Harriette Winslow from Perfect Strangers, she played a mother in an African-American middle-class family living in Chicago. Payton left Family Matters partway through its final season, appearing for the last time on December 19, 1997. Her character was played by Judyann Elder in the show's remaining seven episodes. In 2002, she appeared on the "TV Moms" episode of the Anne Robinson version of The Weakest Link, where she was the third one voted off. In 2003, Payton and her daughter appeared on a Mother's Day episode of Lingo, playing against fellow TV mom Meredith Baxter and her daughter. Baxter and her daughter won. In 2005, Jo Marie Payton provided the voice of Suga Mama in The Proud Family Movie. Her other television credits include Desperate Housewives, Reba, Girlfriends, Wanda at Large, Judging Amy, The Parkers, Will & Grace, The Hughleys, 7th Heaven, Moesha, The Jamie Foxx Show, 227, Silver Spoons, Small Wonder and The New Odd Couple. She also appeared in the Canadian TV mini series The Rev as Mama. .
In 2005, Payton co-hosted the 15th Annual NAACP Theatre Awards with Glynn Turman. In August 2009, she appeared on Meet the Browns as Shirley Van Owen. She has recently hosted her own show on the Hometeam Network entitled Second Chance with Jomarie Payton. In 2012 she was in the GMC TVmovie special from this day forward.
Personal life and career
She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. In 1999, she released a jazz album, entitled 'Southern Shadows'. She has been married and divorced three times, and has a daughter with first husband Marc France. In 2004, in an effort to help raise funds for Virginia Union University, she wrote letters to alumni urging them to donate money in amounts from $18.65 to $186,500, in honor of the University's founding date of 1865.
- The New Odd Couple (1982–1983) as Mona
- Small Wonder (1986–1989) as Sergeant Pepper, Meter Maid
- 227 (1987) as Miss Herman
- Perfect Strangers (1987–89) as Harriette Winslow
- Troop Beverly Hills (1989)
- Family Matters (1989–97) as Harriette Winslow
- Moesha (1996–1999) as Bernetta Campbell
- The Jamie Foxx Show (1998) as Jaime's mother
- 7th Heaven (2000) as Dr. Sharon Peacock
- Wanda at Large (2003) as Mother Hawkins
- Will & Grace (1999–2000) as Ms. Freeman
- The Parkers (2002) as Bernetta Campbell
- Judging Amy (2002) as Mrs. Kahn
- Girlfriends (2004) as Annette Miles
- The Proud Family (2001–2005) voice Suga Mamma
- Reba (2005) as Grandma Ruby
- Desperate Housewives 2006 as Charlene
- The Proud Family Movie (2005) voice Suga Mamma
- Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (2009) as Shirley
- The Glades (2010) as Remelle
- "Jo Marie Payton Biography". A&E Television Networks. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "36th NAACP Image Award Winners". NAACP. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "Weakest Link episodes". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Desperate Housewives Remember...". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "Best Bets: What's on TV Tonight". Cincinnati Enquirer. October 24, 2003. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "The City of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills Hollywood NAACP 15th Annual Theatre Awards Nominations". Business Wire. January 26, 2005. Retrieved 2009-04-13.
- Booker, Simeon (July 19, 2004). "(Ticker Tape; calls for donations to Virginia Union University)". Jet. Retrieved 2009-04-08.