1963 (age 50–51)
|Employer||Sky News (1994–10)|
|Known for||East Midlands Today (1991-94)
Sky News (1994-2010)
|Spouse(s)||Richard Edwards (2000-)|
|Children||2 sons, 3 daughters|
Wheeler's father and uncle worked in the broadcasting industry. She spent a short time at drama school.
Before joining Sky, Wheeler had spells working for Central Television as a continuity announcer from 1983 and East Midlands Today as one of its first weather presenters when it was launched in 1991. She presented the afternoon weekend programme on Radio Lincolnshire from 1988-93. She was also voted Best European Weather Presenter in 1998. She joined Sky in 1994 where she also presented forecasts for Channel 5 until February 2012.
Jo Wheeler lived in Portugal for a seven-year period with her husband and five children, and commuted to the UK-based Sky News Centre in Isleworth on a weekly basis to present the weather. Because of this, she acted as a live reporter in Praia da Luz during the initial coverage of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann before journalists arrived from London.
Wheeler married Richard Edwards in April 2000 in Cheshire. They moved from Wilmslow to Portugal in 2002 (being disillusioned with Britain and discipline in the state education system) and have had a daughter (born July 1999) and son (born November 2001) together. Jo has two daughters (born November 1990 and June 1994) and a son (born January 1992) from a previous relationship.
- The Weathergirl cull: The forecast's gloomy as Sky plans shake-up - and the Tracy Sunshines are under threat Mail Online, 22 May 2010
- Portugal is easier than Cheshire for Jo the Euro commuter! Sky's weather girl finds getting to work from her Algarve home a breeze - the outlook's sunnier, too Mail on Sunday, 8 June 2003
- Going the distance Times Online, 2 September 2007
- Miles better Telegraph, 6 October 2007
- Jo Wheeler at the Internet Movie Database
- Joanne Wheeler - Q and A TV Newsroom