|Member of the California State Assembly
from the 16th district
15th district (2008–2012)
December 1, 2008 – November 30, 2014
|Preceded by||Guy S. Houston|
|Succeeded by||Catharine Baker|
October 4, 1952 |
San Francisco, California
|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Barbara|
Joan T. Buchanan (born October 4, 1952) was a Democratic Party public official and former school board member from Alamo, California. She was a member of the California State Assembly from 2008 to 2014. In September 2009, Buchanan lost a bid to succeed Ellen Tauscher in the U.S. Congress.
Buchanan graduated from UC Santa Barbara.
While raising her five children locally, Buchanan served for 20 years on the San Ramon Valley School Board, including 4 terms as president. Buchanan’s budgeting and organizational development led to SRVUSD being ranked among the top 5% of all school districts in California. Over 94% of the district’s graduating seniors attend college.
Buchanan also served as Vice-President of the San Ramon Valley School Age Child Care Alliance and helped bring childcare services to San Ramon elementary schools. In addition, she successfully led the 1994 “No on Vouchers” campaign to preserve funds for public schools.
2008 California State Assembly campaign
Buchanan successfully ran for State Assembly in 2008. She ran in California's 15th district against Republican San Ramon Mayor H. Abram Wilson. Assembly District 15 includes areas of Contra Costa, Alameda, Sacramento and San Joaquin Counties. Buchanan won the election by 52% to 48%.
2009 Congressional campaign
On March 18, 2009, Buchanan's hometown Congresswoman Rep. Ellen Tauscher (D CA-10) was nominated by President Barack Obama to serve as Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security. A special election to fill her seat took place in 2009. Buchanan ran in the Democratic Primary to replace Rep. Tauscher. She lost to Democratic former Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi.
Buchanan received the California Teachers Association State Gold Award and Alamo Rotary Club Citizen of the Year.
- Assembly Member Joan T. Buchanan - Biography
- McKinley, Jesse (2009-07-04). "Congressional Race in California Draws a High-Profile Cast". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Perrault, Michele (2008-08-27). "Election Year Report Candidate Visit Updates". CSU's Office of Advocacy and Institutional Relations. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Thomas, Luke (2009-06-16). "Buchanan Kicks Off Campaign to Replace Tauscher". Fog City Journal. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- Kraushaar, Josh (2009-03-26). "Wide-open race for Tauscher seat?". Politico. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- Vorderbrueggen, Lisa (2009-03-27). "CD10: The potential candidate rundown". Contra Costa Times. Retrieved 2009-06-13.