||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2014)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Alma mater||University of Notre Dame
Penn State University
|Title||Roman Catholic nun|
A member of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, Pennsylvania, where she served as prioress for 12 years, Sister Joan is an author and lecturer. She also writes a web column for the National Catholic Reporter, "From Where I Stand". Chittister holds a master's degree from the University of Notre Dame and a Ph.D. in speech communication theory from Penn State University. She was also a research associate of St. Edmund's College, Cambridge University. She writes and speaks on women in the church and society, human rights, and peace and justice in the areas of war and poverty and religious life and spirituality. She is co-chair of the Global Peace Initiative of Women, a UN-sponsored organization creating a worldwide network of women peacemakers. She is the founder of "Benetvision".
She has authored over 50 books and over 700 articles in numerous journals and magazines including: America, US Catholic, Sojourners, Spirituality (Dublin) and The Tablet (London). She is a regular contributor to NCRonline.org and HuffingtonPost.com Her next book, Between the Dark and the Daylight, will be published by Random House in the spring of 2015.
Note: Joan Chittister: Essential Writings a compilation of the best from her books, articles and speeches, was published by Orbis Books in August 2014. (ed. Mary Lou Kownacki, OSB, Mary Hembrow Snyder, PhD)
- Our Holy Yearnings, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT (2014)
- A Passion for Life, (New release) Orbis, (2013)
- For Everything a Season, (New release of There is a Season), Orbis, (2013)
- The Way of the Cross, Orbis Books: Maryknoll, NY (2013)
- The Sacred In-Between, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT (2013)
- Art of Life, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT (2012)
- Following the Path: the search for passion, purpose and joy, Random House: New York (2012)
- Happiness, Eerdmans: Grand Rapids, MI. (2011), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2011)
- The Radical Christian Life, Liturgical Press: Collegeville, MN. (2011)
- The Monastery of the Heart, BlueBridge Publishers: New York, NY (2011), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2011)
- God's Tender Mercy, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT. (2010), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2010)
- The Rule of Benedict: a spirituality for the 21st century, Revised edition, Crossroad Publications (2010)
- Uncommon Gratitude, Liturgical Press: Collegeville, MN. (2010)
- The Liturgical Year, Thomas Nelson: Nashville, Tennessee (2009) ISBN 978-0-8499-4607-3
- The Gift of Years, BlueBridge Publishers:New York, NY. (2008), Novalis: Toronto, ON (2008)
- The Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, edited by George Thomas Kurian and James D. Smith III, Scarecrow Press, 2010, p. 252.
- "The Heart of the Rule of Benedict with Joan Chittister". Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "NCR Author Profile". NCR. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Asia Pacific Breakthrough - Sister Joan Chittister, O.S.B.". Vimeo. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Benetvision: A Point of View with the Future in Mind". Retrieved 2010-12-26.