||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Alma mater||University of Notre Dame
Penn State University
|Title||Roman Catholic nun|
A member of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, Pennsylvania, where she served as prioress for 12 years, Sister Joan is an author and lecturer. She also writes a web column for the National Catholic Reporter, "From Where I Stand". Chittister holds a master's degree from the University of Notre Dame and a Ph.D. in speech communication theory from Penn State University. She was also an elected fellow of St. Edmund's College, Cambridge University. She writes and speaks on women in the church and society, human rights, and peace and justice in the areas of war and poverty and religious life and spirituality. She is co-chair of the Global Peace Initiative of Women, a UN-sponsored organization creating a worldwide network of women peacemakers. She is the founder of "Benetvision". Her public presentations are announced on the Benetvision website.
She has authored over 50 books and has articles in numerous journals and magazines including: America, US Catholic, Sojourners, Spirituality (Dublin) and The Tablet (London). She is a contributor to NCRonline.org and HuffingtonPost.com She has thirteen Catholic Press Association awards, the most recent being three in June, 2012 for her books The Monastery of the Heart and Happiness.
- The Way of the Cross, Orbis Books: Maryknoll, NY (2013)
- The Sacred In-Between, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT (2013)
- Art of Life, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT (2012)
- Following the Path: the search for passion, purpose and joy, Random House: New York (2012)
- Happiness, Eerdmans: Grand Rapids, MI. (2011), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2011)
- The Radical Christian Life, Liturgical Press: Collegeville, MN. (2011)
- The Monastery of the Heart, BlueBridge Publishers: New York, NY (2011), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2011)
- God's Tender Mercy, Twenty-Third Publications: Mystic, CT. (2010), Novalis: Toronto, ON. (2010)
- The Rule of Benedict: a spirituality for the 21st century, revised edition, Crossroad Publications (2010)
- Uncommon Gratitude, Liturgical Press: Collegeville, MN. (2010)
- The Liturgical Year, Thomas Nelson: Nashville, Tennessee (2009) ISBN 978-0-8499-4607-3
- The Gift of Years, BlueBridge Publishers:New York, NY. (2008), Novalis: Toronto, ON (2008)
- The Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, edited by George Thomas Kurian and James D. Smith III, Scarecrow Press, 2010, p. 252.
- "The Heart of the Rule of Benedict with Joan Chittister". Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "NCR Author Profile". NCR. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Asia Pacific Breakthrough - Sister Joan Chittister, O.S.B.". Vimeo. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Benetvision: A Point of View with the Future in Mind". Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- Official website
- NOW with Bill Moyers, Bill Moyers talks with Joan Chittister.
- HuffingtonPost Religion Blog.
- PBS Radio: "Obedience and Action."
- The Benedictine Sisters of Erie website
- Works by or about Joan Chittister in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Video: Joan Chittister on women and progress in religion, Parliament of the World's Religions, Melbourne Dec 2009
- "NPR Interview: Weekend Edition Sunday with Liane Hansen."