Joan Lamote de Grignon
Joan Lamote de Grignon was born and died in Barcelona, the son of parents of French descent Lluis Lamote de Grignon and Elena Bocquet. In 1911 he founded the Barcelona Symphony Orchestra, of which he was also music director. He directed the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. He was the successor of Celestí Sadurní in directing the Municipal Band of Barcelona in 1914, from where he promoted young performers and provided the Band with an acknowledged repertoire. Three years later he was appointed director of the Conservatory of the Gran Teatre del Liceu of Barcelona. In 1943 he founded the València Municipal Orchestra, which he directed until 1949.
His compositions, including transriptions and arrangements, comprise some hundred and fifty songs, the oratorio La nit de Nadal(1906), the lyric drama Hespèria(1907), a symphonic trilogy, a symphony, a Missa eucarística for two voices and organ, motets and spiritual songs, and El parc d'atraccions for piano.
He wrote various sardanes for cobla and helped to found the band Cobla Barcelona.
His son Ricard Lamote de Grignon followed in his father's footsteps as a composer and orchestra director. Ricard worked alongside him as assistant director of the newly created València Municipal Orchestra.
The personal papers of Joan Lamote de Grignon are preserved in the Biblioteca de Catalunya.
His work includes many pieces for orchestra, orchestra with voice, lieder and songs, scenic music, voice and piano, sardanes for cobla, and transcriptions for band.
- Sardanes for Cobla: El Testament de n'Amèlia, Solidaritat de Flors, La Rosa del folló and Florida.
The archive of the Lamote de Grignon family, with works by Joan and his son Ricard, is at the Document repository of the Generalitat of Catalunya and may be studied in the Biblioteca de Catalunya.
His compositions include about a hundred and fifty songs, the oratorio La nit de Nadal (Christmas Night) (1906), the lyric drama Hespèria (1907), a symphonic trilogy, one symphony, a Mass for two voices and organ, motets and spiritual songs, and the work for piano El parc d'atraccions (The Amusement Park).
- Bonastre i Bertran, Francesc (1998). Joan Lamote de Grignon. Barcelona: Proa. ISBN 84-8256-708-x Check
- Archive Joan Lamote de Grignon in the Biblioteca de Catalunya (in Catalan)
- Archive Lamote de Grignon family in the Biblioteca de Catalunya (in Catalan)
- Complete biography and bibliography of Joan Lamote de Grignon
- El testament n'Amèlia Video of a performance of this sardana by the cobla "Comptat d'Empúries" at the Castelló d'Empúries
- Sardanes for Cobla published by DINSIC Publicacions Musicals, S.L., Barcelona
Published works also in Brotons & Mercadal, Edicions Musicals, SL, www.brotonsmercadal.com