18 December 1948 |
|Information at IDEAS/RePEc|
Muysken received his PhD in Economics from the University of Groningen on the aggregation of production functions.
Muysken is currently professor of economics at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Maastricht University, Netherlands, where he teaches macroeconomics and labour economics.
Muysken has been a visiting researcher at the University of Oslo in 1980. In 1983, he was assistant professor at the SUNY in Buffalo, New York. He was a visiting professor at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, in 1989; at the University of Newcastle, Australia in 1995 and again in 2000; at the Centre for European Economic Research in Mannheim, Germany, in 2000; and at the Social Science Research Center Berlin in Germany, in May 2000.
Muysken's research includes work on endogenous growth and diffusion of technologies; skill mismatch; job competition; analysis of unemployment; portfolio investment and other topics, including his work on health as a determinant of economic growth.
His most notable work, so far, is Full Employment Abandoned (2008), co-written with Australian economist Bill Mitchell. The authors trace the theoretical analysis of the nature and causes of unemployment over the last 150 years and argue that the shift from involuntary to so-called "natural rate" concepts of unemployment are behind an "ideological backlash" against state intervention as notably advocated, within the frame of the free economy, by Keynes in the 1930s. The authors further contend that unemployment is a reflection of systemic policy failures, rather than an "individual problem". They present a theoretical and empirical critique of the neo-liberal approach and suggest that the reinstatement of full employment, along with price stability, is a viable policy goal, achievable through an activist fiscal policy.
Muysken is married to Anne Marie du Saar. They have three children: Joan, Fransje, and Coen Muysken.
- Curriculum vitae of Joan Muyskens, University of Maastricht
- Professor Dr. Joan Muysken, from the United Nations University program at the University of Maastricht
- E.g. "Overeducation, Job Competition and Unemployment":Muysken, Joan, and Bas ter Weel, 1999
- E.g. "Long-term unemployment as a screening device and its consequences for active labour market policies" at CofFEE
- "International Portfolio Balance – Modeling the External Adjustment Process" :Nils Holinskia, Clemens Kool, and Joan Muysken, 2009
- "Health as a Principal Determinant of Economic Growth": Zon, Adriaan van, and Joan Muysken, 2003
- Information about Joan Muysken at RePEc
- Mitchell, William & Joan Muysken: Full Employment Abandoned: Shifting Sands and Policy Failures (2008), Edward Elgar Publishing 320 pp, Hardback, ISBN 978-1-85898-507-7
- Faculty profile at Maastricht University
- Works by or about Joan Muysken in libraries (WorldCat catalog)