|Known for||Political writings|
Joan Peters (born 1938) is a former CBS news producer of documentaries, and the author best known for a number of theses on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, put forward in her controversial book From Time Immemorial, published in 1984, in which she claims that the Palestinians are largely not indigenous to the area and therefore do not have claims to territory.
Peters has also written for magazines such as Harper's, Commentary, The New Republic, and The New Leader in the 1970s and early 1980s and helped create a series of TV news documentaries for CBS in 1973 regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and provided commentary on the subject for PBS.
Peters served as White House Adviser on American Foreign Policy in the Middle East during the Carter Administration.[unreliable source?] She is currently an advisor for the National Committee on American Foreign Policy.
From Time Immemorial
While From Time Immemorial was a commercial success and had been praised as a serious contribution to the study of the Arab-Israeli conflict by a number of writers and critics, such as Barbara W. Tuchman, Elie Wiesel, and Robert St. John, it has been also discredited by other historians. Reviewing the book for the November 28, 1985 issue of The New York Times, Israeli historian Yehoshua Porath described the book as a "sheer forgery," stating that "[i]n Israel, at least, the book was almost universally dismissed as sheer rubbish except maybe as a propaganda weapon."
- National Committee on American Foreign Policy
- Review from Noam Chomsky
- Assorted excerpts from From Time Immemorial
- Review of the book From Time Immemorial with critical aspects
- New York Review of Books
- Joan Peters' profile at Harry Walker Speakers' Agency
- Joan Peters' appearance on Zola Levitt Ministries, Episode: "From Time Immemorial" with Joan Peters, Part 1 and Part 2
- Joan Peters' interview on The Tovia Singer Show, June 2003, part 1 and part 2
- Joan Peters' interview on The Tovia Singer Show, March 2002, part 1 and part 2
- Remnick, David (October 15, 2012). "Newt, the Jews, and an "Invented" People". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Colin Campbell (November 28, 1985), "Dispute Flares Over Book on Claims to Palestine", The New York Times, retrieved October 15, 2012